Airbnb cancel booking after it’s started.. can they legally do that?!

Dan16800
Level 1
Lymington, United Kingdom

Airbnb cancel booking after it’s started.. can they legally do that?!

Hi, first time posting here but 5 years hosting. Bizarrely Airbnb cancelled a booking after the guests had already arrived, asking for us to provide some additional government identification. They refunded the guest in full and are not paying us. We immediately provided all necessary information and our account was unblocked, but received no confirmation that account has been restored. Called them and they said ‘ask the guests to make a new booking’ which was at 11pm. Booking settings (notice period and minimum stay ) meant that the guests couldn’t re book.

can they legally do this? I have sent several messages and am getting the silent treatment. I thought as a host you have a contract with the guest, and Airbnb shouldn’t be interfering with that contract as a third party. 

interested if anyone else has had similar experience. If they continue to ignore me, who can provide support/arbitration in the uk? 

thanks In advance for any suggestions!

1 Reply 1
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Dan16800 if you can't persuade Airbnb to sort it out then I suspect your only escalation is the small claims court. It should be an easy case to bring and win.