Airbnb claiming no cancellations are due to CV

Richard1762
Level 2
San Clemente, CA

Airbnb claiming no cancellations are due to CV

I had over $25k in cancellations of orders made before March 14 and for stays between Mar 14 and May 31 All but $300 if stays was denied for one of two reasons

1) I have a moderate cancellation policy that allows cancels up to a few days before

2) Those that cancelled at last minute due to CV I cancelled myself as the customer could not figure out how to do it and Airbnb told me to just cancel and it would get straightened out later.

These are cancellations that are 100% because of CV.. there is chat to prove it and yet Airbnb pulls out these technicalities on a host who al.ways is customer first.

Airbnb is not required to do anything but this is worse than nothing, penalizing those hosts who provide solid customer support.

23 Replies 23
Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Mike2080  Another Brit, @Jerry250  posted yesterday that it is the LAW in the UK to refund the customer (=guest) IN FULL when other government legislation forbids providers from providing, or customers from accessing the product, i.e., we're not allowed to host & tourists are not allowed to travel! 

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/covid-19-cma-to-investigate-cancellation-policy-concerns

we are Hosts selling Accommodation Only on your platform NOT A PACKAGE COMBINED WITH TRANSPORTATION or FLIGHTS

We do not sell transportation in combination with the rental / accommodation services and as such do not offer travel packages on your system. Therefore we are not at fault if the guest cannot make it to the property by bicycle/ taxi / plane , walk or any other means. Kindly note that our confirmed reservations have been securely held for a long period of time and could have been rented to other prospective local or foreign guests had we not held them securely.

If a guest is local or foreign , living in Malta or not , are to make their own way to the property on check in day.
The properties advertised on this platform hold a strict 50% cancellation policy chosen by us and agreed to by each and every guest as a legally binding contract of sale.
The properties advertised on your platform hold a strict 50% cancellation policy chosen by us and agreed to by each and every guest as a legally binding contract of sale.

if guests cancel prior to check in , we are entitled to compensation of 50% of the total - ( with the exception of your fees for the booking )
If we are not paid we will invoice Airbnb accordingly.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Jean-Pierre198 No we don't sell travel packages, & no we are not at fault if the guest's transport is not running. But neither is the guest at fault, if the transport provider can not provide! Especially if governments have grounded planes, stopped trains, (& boats.)

I therefore  don't believe it is ethical to charge a guest 50% when they are stopped from travelling by external forces, i.e. pandemics, emergency government directives, grounded planes. And it's illegal in the UK!

We should from some a union of hosts contact database and start / fund a new booking platform made by  REAL Hosts. We have programmers and this is possible but we need to join  up as a massive union . Together we can change all this

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

duplicate message

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Richard1762 

Airbnb are showing you their true colours. They just don’t care.

@Paul60 @Jean-Pierre198 

I applaud you.

Ellie318
Level 1
Bampton, United Kingdom

They did exactly the same with me, I don't trust Airbnb anymore. They deceived their own policies. I have all the proof and guest confirmation my cancellations fitted their criteria for 25% refund but they denied it.  It is outrageous and it makes me believe they did it only to look as good guys and for marketing purposes. Shocking they are doing that on a very difficult time for everyone. 

Maxine33
Level 8
Alexandria, VA

Have they started paying out for cancellations?  My reservation was for a month and fell under "long term" but I have not heard anything from Airbnb. 

Patricia2765
Level 1
Malibu, CA

That sucks. Am also a host  with 100% within the guidelines, and out of 7, they only sent compensation for one 2 day booking!    The other weeks nothing and no response. What a racket. Must be something we can do to show they are not dispersing the supposed good deed.