Airbnb donation: should host and employee lives matter as much?

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Airbnb donation: should host and employee lives matter as much?

It goes without saying that what happened to George Floyd is despicable and this thread is not about that. The question is: should a company that cannot meet contractual obligations to its partners (hosts of colors and backgrounds) and just laid off 1900 humans be giving a half a million dollar donation, no matter how worthy the cause is. For those not aware- Airbnb announced .5 mil dollar donation to Black lives matter

128 Replies 128

OMG @Sarah977 , you just painted a picture in my head!  

@Sarah977 The 'Lets Play Protest March' one surely will be the most frustrating to play since the choices will include too many options since you are allowed to pick only one cause per session.

When we grew up it now feels more like the Age of Innocence, despite the wild but exciting  late 60's/early 70's. 

@Fred13  The bossy dominant sibling gets to choose what the protest march is against. Some things never change  😜

@Sarah977 Mine mrs would surely protest against limits on her credit card spending; count her in the  'Endless Spending Matters' group.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

For any of you espousing the "all lives matter", here's a really quick and easy lesson in why these protests are not about that :

https://www.tiktok.com/@allisonholkerboss/video/6833184953233149190?lang=en

Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

These protests are giving me my first glimmer of hope in the last 3 1/2 years.

I saw a group of African American teens being harassed by the police  back when I was a teen carhop- girls in their prom dresses being made to lie down in the oily  parking lot while their tux clad beaus were being frisked  It was a horrible thing, the excuse ?! One of the kids had a bottle of booze, that would NEVER happen to kids who look like my children.

I remember some shootings that didn't make the national news- the young man who was shot in the back from 12 feet away after being accused by someone anonymous over the intercom on our  bay area rapid  transit (the crime was stealing a boom box, the young man was late for work & refused to comply) The young man shot outside his grandma's door, he was painted as a burglary suspect but the tire iron he was meant to be carrying was never found. A person in the throes of a mental health crisis was pinned on their stomach, couldn't breathe & died -in the local news for a minute.The worst, the most egregious and the well documented, we only hear about those, that's the tip of the iceberg.

The police in my "liberal" town don't even have basic CPR & first aid training even tho they are first responders, they do carry guns & truncheons & drive hulking SUV s with rammers on the front.

Too many of them want absolute compliance to any order they give & are quick to escalate if a person doesn't comply. Their  motto is "To serve and protect" What should that actually mean?

It isn't a few bad apples, it's a systemic problem, why did the one standing cop say nothing while his fellow officers slowly killed a man? Because that's the code, that's the culture. It is the mindset of an occupying force and it  sucks up all the resources & is distrusted with good reason by a chunk of the community, the same chunk that is stifled & starved of resources & denied stuff some of us get to take for granted, like not worrying that some cop is going to lose his nut & take it out on our kid. These protests are not going to stop.  My neighbor is being choked to death, I can't keep silent and look away.

@Sally221 , "These protests are giving me my first glimmer of hope in the last 3 1/2 years". Its pretty hard for me to be excited that the answer to darker skinned people being injured or murdered is injuring and killing more people of all races and destroying the infrastructure that everyone depends on to live, thats not good in times without a killer virus at large but its deadly when it is. 

How does Berkeley still have a race and police violence issues in 2020 after the riots in 2017 and the 1960's?  I wish I could share your optimism but If the most Liberal states in the Union seem to have the biggest race, poverty and homeless problems, what does that say for our Liberal elected leaders?   It says to me that their experiments have failed us yet again.  They are in charge and have been so for decades in your state and mine, there is literally no excuse for their failures.   Their answer now is De-fund the police in the inner city petri dishes and let the social workers pick up the slack...   All I can say is I'm glad I live in the middle of everywhere rural America...

Patricia55
Level 10
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello everyone,

After reading this thread, I know several discussions are going on here and that there are a lot of different opinions. However, I have noticed that some comments on this discussion have become rather personal and does not benefit the community nor is it in line with our guidelines.

Previously, my colleague Lizzie has tried to steer this thread as well. As a result of this and with the best interests of our community, I have closed this topic.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Nondiscrimination policy if you wish to review those.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen