As a host what is your favourite place to recommend to your guests ?

Michael-O-Reilly0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Meenderry, Ireland

As a host what is your favourite place to recommend to your guests ?

Hi Community, when guests stay at our listings either for a holiday or work related, they usually have a list of places they want to explore,  do you have that one place you would recommend to  them to visit..My recommended place is Errigal Mountain,  its the highest mountain in my area, its also a relatively easy climb but the views are amazing. Hope you like the view

Screenshot 2022-06-08 at 15.04.52.png

15 Replies 15
Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Great topic @Michael-O-Reilly0! Having lived and hosted in Edinburgh, Scotland, I would always recommend my guests to walk up to Arthur's Seat for lovely city views 😃

IMG_8670.JPG

Quincy_0-1654697632611.png

Quincy_1-1654697656025.png

IMG_8713.JPG

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Michael-O-Reilly0
Meenderry, Ireland

Thanks @Quincy, beautiful photos, love the picture showing the divide between rural and urban, superb photo, visited Edinburgh once, but my  visit was to short to fully enjoy all that Edinburgh has to offer, i will return❤

Delphine348
Host Advisory Board Member
Achères-la-Forêt, France

Hello @Michael-O-Reilly0 ,

This place you recommend looks amazing and walking in such a great landscape must be refreshing and peaceful !

I receive a lot of climbing people as we live next to a world famous area for bouldering and climbing

https://27crags.com/areas/fontainebleau.

They know all about the places and I just give them all information for finding a fellow guide if needed or rental equipment address.

Depending on the period of the year I recommend often to go to one particular castle we are lucky to live quite close to.

It’s the Vaux le Vicomte Castle and they have a great selection of activities in addition to the castle visit. In summer it’s fantastic and memorable 

https://vaux-le-vicomte.com/en/

And we are also lucky to receive a weekly email from our Tourism office with all the weekly events, activities and visits to do. I send it to my guests prior to their arrival to help them. 

I think it’s what creates a link with our guests and make them feel welcomed in our home and area.

Delphine

(Sauf indication contraire, mes contributions sont issues de mon expérience en tant qu'hôte)
Michael-O-Reilly0
Meenderry, Ireland

Hi @Delphine348 , thanks for all that information,  what a lovley place, i have a lot of friends who love mountain climbing, and they are all registered with mountain climbing clubs. I will forward on your attached links and hopefully you will have some Irish hill climbers in the near future, stunning landscapes..

Delphine348
Host Advisory Board Member
Achères-la-Forêt, France

Hi @Michael-O-Reilly0 ,

Thank you for your kind recommendation! I will be glad to welcome Irish hill climbers!

Delphine

(Sauf indication contraire, mes contributions sont issues de mon expérience en tant qu'hôte)
Ruth413
Level 10
Moreton, United Kingdom

I love to see my guests reaction when they visit my favourite place.  The Ghost Village of Tyneham - where time stopped in 1943. 

The MOD took over the area including the village to practice for D Day.  The promise was to hand back the village to the residents after the war.  It never happened and is still MOD land.  Most houses are derelict but the church still stands intact along with the tiny school where the coat pegs still have names on, the books are still on the desks and the nature table is how it was left the day they all had to leave.  It is fascinating and sad.  It is a hidden treasure of Dorset and can only be accessed on certain days when the army aren't firing.

A 10 minute stroll down a track and you arrive at the sea.  It is wild and beautiful and away from the tourist crowds.

Where time stoppedWhere time stoppedA note from the residents left on the church door - still there todayA note from the residents left on the church door - still there todayThe BayThe Bay

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Amazing @Ruth413

-----

Michael-O-Reilly0
Meenderry, Ireland

Hi @Ruth413 , such a poignant story,  but fascinating,  i never knew about this and thanks for sharing this. I haven't yet had the opportunity to Visit Dorset but definitely on my visit list

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Michael-O-Reilly0 , living in a big, bustling city, I've got nothing to compare to the amazing views that you and other hosts have posted here.

I have hosted such a wide variety of guests, with different interests who come to London for many different reasons. There are also so many things to do and see here, it's really impossible to pick one favourite.

One of our local pubs is considered to have one of the best pub kitchens in London, serving very high quality seasonal British food, so I have sent many guests there. We also have a really good Indian takeaway nearby that guests seem to get addicted to once they have tried it. The most popular dish in the UK is, after all, curry.

In terms of museums, people who come here often visit the British Museum and the Natural History museum, which are both amazing of course. In terms of art, they go to Tate Modern and the National Gallery.

However, few think to visit the original Tate gallery, now called Tate Britain, which is a quick journey from my house. They also don't realise that the National Portrait Gallery (currently closed for renovation) is right by the National Gallery and very well worth seeing. It also has a restaurant with amazing views of London (that unlike the often visited Shard, doesn't require buying an expensive ticket). The John Soames museum is quirky and really interesting. My favourite of all is the Victoria and Albert Museum, or V&A, which is right next to the Natural History Museum. I don't know how many times I have been there but I never get tired of it. The exhibitions are fantastic but the building itself is stunning, even the cafe.

2006-Victoria-Albert-Museum.jpeg16931348756_50c3aa39ef_b.jpegDale-Chihuly-sculpture-at-Victoria-and-Albert-Museum-London.jpeg

Of course, it's well worth seeing the best known sites in London such as the Houses of Parliament/Westminster, St Paul's Cathedral or the Tower of London, but I do love recommending amazing places to guests that might not be on their radar.

Sybe
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
Terneuzen, Netherlands

@Huma0 This looks amazing, I live so close but I've never been there! Which museums/galleries are these on your pictures?

-----

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Michael-O-Reilly0 @Sybe 

The photos above are all of the V&A museum. Just to clarify, they are not my photos, but ones I found on the web. The first photo is of the cafe, the second of one of the sculpture galleries (but there is a lot of more of that) and the third of the entrance hall.

I do have some photos of the museum that I took myself though, so I will try to find them and post them too.

I recommended it to one of my current guests and he is completely obsessed. He's visited the V&A three times in the last week despite having a full time job with long hours. He can't get enough of it!

Michael-O-Reilly0
Meenderry, Ireland

@Huma0 Thanks for all that wonderful information and fantastic photos,  I had the pleasure of visiting London a few years ago, i got to visit all the recommended tourist spots, but will definitely visit your highly recommended spots, thanks so much for sharing

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Michael-O-Reilly0,

I recommend local events that weren't heavily promoted internationally, because they usually aren't confirmed until a short time before the event is supposed to happen.  For example, the things missing from the festivals and events link include the Roots and Soul Festival in August, Caribbean Premier League T20 Cricket Tournament in September, Oktoberfest Kweyole in early October (the St. Lucian version of the popular German beer and food festival), and concerts of popular music (e.g., soca, zouk, reggae, country, R&B, pop, and jazz).

Michael-O-Reilly0
Meenderry, Ireland

@Debra300 Thanks Debra, likewise i try and recommend places that are often missed in the tour guide books, your place has so much to offer visitors and thank you for sharing, its such a wonderful place.