COVID cancellation deadline (May 15th) clarification

Caitlin178
Level 2
New York, NY

COVID cancellation deadline (May 15th) clarification

Has anyone gotten information on the exact deadline for hosts cancellations without penalty for pre-March 15th reservations? I know that it says "by May 15th" but does that mean before May 15th (like by today), does it mean by end of day May 15th? 11:59pm EST on May 15th? 

I'm waiting on an update from my town on summer rentals that is supposed to come tomorrow, so timing is of the essence...

6 Replies 6
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I think you'll need to call in order to get your answer, @Caitlin178.

Yeah... I've been trying. Thanks though!

Caitlin178
Level 2
New York, NY

Finally got through on the phone - if anyone sees this and is hoping for an answer, the answer is end of day May 15th based on the country (she told me EST for US). 

Thanks for info @Caitlin178 . I just had a guest inquiry about cancelling their August vacation to my cape cod home. I just starting looking into cancellations as most of my rentals are direct. I am seeing that I would need to cancel their reservation b.y tomorrow in order for them to get a full refund.  I  have a strict cancellation and am wondering what happens if they don’t want to cancel their reservation by tomorrow and  want to “wait and see”. What do they have to lose? I have never had someone cancel a reservation but also understand under these unprecedented circumstances. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Suzanne-And-James0 If the guests waits to see what happens rather than you cancelling for them they will lose the Airbnb service fee AND you will get 50% or 100% of the rental fees (minus cleaning/taxes). You would then be able to refund the latter leaving them down by just the service fee.

I still don't know what happens if you cancel - Do you get one of those 'host cancelled XX days before check in on your reviews?

Thanks @Mike-And-Jane0 . Does anyone else know if Airbnb is “ dinging”the host on their review  for cancelling a reservation by today’s deadline due to COVID ?