CS just said guests who book without a Government ID are automatically Declined

Answered!
Jillian115
Level 10
Jamestown, CA

CS just said guests who book without a Government ID are automatically Declined

I have a request. My booking requirements are Gov ID, Profile Picture, and Referred by other hosts. 

The request does not meet at least two of my requirements. Zero reviews and missing Government ID verification. But I decided I would accept him if he uploaded the ID since the request seemed like a valid a trip for his anniversary. 

So I send him a note:  

(Thanks for your request. This listing requires that Airbnb verifies your Government ID. I have the following in my pre-booking message, but I think you may have skipped it. "Before you book, upload a Government-issued ID to your Airbnb profile. Profile>Click Trust & Verification>Add More Verifications> government ID verification> add.")

Later I send another note: 

If you need help you can contact Airbnb from your reservation

The next day I send one more:

I’m going to have to decline the request in about an hour since you have not verified your identification with Airbnb. If you read the messages sent, I have provided instructions.

He responds: 

Hi Jillian am looking forward to be staying in your place, this is (His Name)

Anyway, I sent a note to CS through the reservation that he is not getting that he need a government ID. The CS rep calls and tells me to go ahead and accept the reservation. If he does not provide the government ID the booking will automatically decline 12 hours after I accept it.  I said, I know that is not true because I have in the past accidentally approved someone who did not have a government ID and their reservation did not automatically cancel. CS said we have updated our system. Can anyone verify this? There is nothing in the documentation that states a guest that is accepted and does not have a government ID Verification will be automatically canceled 12 hours after you approve the request. 

1 Best Answer
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Jillian115 CS rep is confused . .  what else is new.

If you check the box in this link, the system will automatically make the guest verify their ID before they can submit a reservation. You won't need to request it from them.

https://www.airbnb.com/hosting/requirements

If they fail to do so within 12 hours, the booking will automatically decline. 

7 Replies 7
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jillian115  Sounds like another CS rep spouting off misinformation.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Jillian115 CS rep is confused . .  what else is new.

If you check the box in this link, the system will automatically make the guest verify their ID before they can submit a reservation. You won't need to request it from them.

https://www.airbnb.com/hosting/requirements

If they fail to do so within 12 hours, the booking will automatically decline. 

Thank you! This is great. Super helpful. 

Hi Emila, thanks for sharing this. I never knew such a box existed. Besides the link, where do you actually find this in the airbnb menu?

Thanks, Alex

@Alex7130 That checkbox is not found anywhere in one’s listing editor. The link is the only way to find it. Strange, but true, as is typical with Airbnb. 

Thanks! I have to say finding things using the editor feels like going down the rabbit hole, I look for a setting that I swear I saw before, then click links that take me further into another link, then before you know it I am have switched to guest mode.... noted for now! Thanks.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Jillian115 

If ID verification is demanded by Arbnb, it is performed before you receive the booking request (calender shows dates blocked with message "awaiting verification"). After you accept a request from a not-verified account there is no automatic ID verification process, seems to me Airbnb CS is wrong,