Can I Ask Another Host for a Reference, after Reading Their Review, about a Past Guest that is Requesting to Book my Home?

Kathy842
Level 6
Dallas, TX

Can I Ask Another Host for a Reference, after Reading Their Review, about a Past Guest that is Requesting to Book my Home?

I have instant booking turned on for those whose identity has been verified and that have a recommendation from another host. A young man is requesting to book my home in Dallas, TX for 4th of July weekend. I have a 3 guest max rule. He rented from someone in California in March this year. This is what the host wrote in his review,

"XXXXX and his friends were very polite and respectful, took care of the place and Left it neat and tidy. One small incident... He and his group overstayed past checkout waiting for his transportation to pick him up. They didn’t communicate ahead of time that they would need late checkout. When asked to leave he was still very polite and respectful and left shortly afterwards. AirBnB discussed this with him later and he now understands."

After the host wrote the review I wonder if he answered/clicked  "did not recommend" to other hosts.  This would explain why the guest could not instant book. 

2 Replies 2
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kathy842  Personally, I wouldn't mind if another host sent me an Inquiry message to ask about a previous guest, but I can only speak for myself. The only bummer about it is that I'd have to respond within 24 hours, or take a ding on my response rate. And because some hosts aren't aware that all you have to do is answer an Inquiry, not click on pre-approve or decline, I'd make sure to ask the host if he realizes that, so they don't feel they have to use up a decline on an Inquiry which is just a question from another host.

@Kathy842  It is possible to contact the host via a fake booking inquiry if they have an active listing. However, I think the review that they wrote is thorough enough to speak for itself without needing any further elaboration.