[Celebration] How do you build community through hospitality?

Claudia331
Host Advisory Board Member
Lecco, Italy

[Celebration] How do you build community through hospitality?

This post is co-authored by Host Advisory Board members Claudia from Italy, Daniel from Tenerife, Dolly from the U.S., Rachel from England, Sarah from Australia, Rie from Japan. Learn more about the Host Advisory Board.

We’re living in a particularly lonely time, and we need to find ways to connect with others. By opening our doors to guests, Hosts can have a positive impact and help people feel closer.

Airbnb CEO Brian Chesky has talked about feelings of isolation recently in press interviews and at Host gatherings, including the community leaders meetup in Milan, Italy, that I attended a few weeks ago. His words have resonated with many of us. Welcoming guests from all over the globe is a joy of hosting. Getting to know new people gives us a sense of belonging and builds community.

That is why my colleagues from the Host Advisory Board and I chose to celebrate hospitality during this Week of Celebrations. We want to continue the conversations about overcoming loneliness that we started earlier this year.

In a series of posts, Hosts Daniel, Rachel, Sarah, Rie, and Dolly offer their thoughts about hospitality and getting to know their guests. They discuss how they host with kindness and empathy, offer support to guests, build lasting relationships, and much more.

I encourage you to read their posts:

We’d love to know what you think! Here are a few questions to get our conversations started: 

• How important is it for you as a Host to build connections with your guests? Do you feel the same way when you’re the guest? 
  • How do you make sure your guests feel welcome and enjoy their stay at your place?
  • In what ways have your guests’ needs changed in the past few years?

Let us know in the comments below. We look forward to reading about your experiences.

23 Replies 23
Dolly36
Fort Lauderdale, FL

I love this topic as it’s an opportunity to showcase how Airbnb makes the world smaller and I was thrilled to contribute to this project. Thanks for your leadership in pulling this together, Claudia. 

Claudia331
Lecco, Italy

@Dolly36 thanks to you for your contribution ❤️

I can't agree more when you write "Hosting is about more than providing a place to stay"

Our houses can represent places where relations and interactions leave an important impact on the people, on us and on our guests

We have this chance, we can pursuite this or not. I think that for who of us does it, the "return" is much more than just the economic.

In my 8 years experience I can confirm this, and after the stop, due to the pandemic, I feel stronger the need to pass attention and closeness to my guests

Sarah5000
Adelaide, Australia

@Claudia331 Thanks for taking the initiative to make this happen, I would like to know how other hosts to build their connection with their guests as well as sharing my experiences here with everyone. 

Sarah
Claudia331
Lecco, Italy

@Sarah5000 your curiosity about experiences of other hosts is mine 🙂

Looking forward to read your beautiful article and others from host colleagues soon 

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Can you let us know what the host advisory board is doing to help the hundreds of hosts who are experiencing problems with Airbnb suspending their listing with no notice or explanation when guests make false safety reports normally when a host calls them out on bringing more guests than have booked or who holding parties. @Claudia331 

This has been an ongoing issue for at least the past year and no-one from Airbnb will respond on why this is happening.

Airbnb T&C says that if there is an issue guests should contact the host first to resolve any issues, but this is not happening Airbnb is simply suspending all the hosts listings and cancelling upcoming bookings.

Claudia331
Lecco, Italy

@Sushma14and @Ursula354 what do you think about this topic?

I'd like to know how important is it for you as a host to build connections with your guests?

If and how do you make sure your guests feel welcome and enjoy their stay at your place?

If and in what ways have your guests’ needs changed in the past few years?

And you, as guests, do you feel the same need?

Let us know in the comments below. We look forward to reading about your experiences and learn from you  ❤️

Ursula354
Level 2
Groot Brakrivier, South Africa

Hi @Claudia331 , I live upstairs from my home below.  I offer my guests information about the area and have additional supplies (at a cost) should they need anything after the stores in the area has closed.  I also ask them to let me know if they have any special requirements before their arrival.  

Any other suggestions are welcome. 

Thank you and warm regards,

Ursula

Claudia331
Lecco, Italy

@Ursula354 your presence and help for the guests it seems perfect!

When a request or reservation comes from new Airbnb guests (no reservation before) usually I high the attention and write messages to them to support this first Airbnb experience 

I like pass a sort of imprinting where, at the end, guests can say  “travel with Airbnb is not the same than do it with other channels or platforms”, knowing that we can be part of  this difference 

Aimee224
Level 3
Elk Park, NC

@Claudia331 I always try to make guests feel welcome and tell them that I am available if they have any needs or concerns. I follow their lead as far as communication goes. Some people like to talk and find out more about the community. Others seem to be fine with minimal interaction. I am always friendly and polite. 

@Claudia331 @Aimee224 Yes, that’s exactly, how I do it. lt seems to work for me.

@Aimee224 Yes, I do this too! ☺️

Claudia331
Lecco, Italy

@Aimee224 thank you for sharing!

I try to do the same and posts from my dear colleagues @Daniel1651 @Dolly36 @Rachel1200 @Sarah5000 and @Rie9  I think are so inspiring 

with you and @Vina522 @Ursula354 @Raenell1  is wonderful for me to hear this “small people” with this kind of warm approach in hospitality 

Have you ever felt the awareness of giving positive moments to your guests? 

Sometimes it is nice to think that we have represented an important part of a journey, especially when the reason of a trip is not only touristic or leisure 

Hi @Claudia331!

I enjoy making a guest’s stay special if I know it’s a special occasion (birthday, anniversary, Father’s Day, moving to the area, hiking trip to see the National parks).

I've suggested great apps for hiking, scenic trails, REI for gear or ideas, I’ve also bought birthday desserts with a birthday card, strawberries and Prosecco for an anniversary, a Star Wars themed tee and mug for our first guest booking (they were coming in for a Star Wars themed play - the Empire Strips Back!), wine and cheese for another guest, kids snacks/high chair/baby bjorn bouncer/wet/dry mat/pack and play (all complimentary for parents with kiddos as I know how hard it is to travel with a little one), or more. 

It warms my heart when a guest gushes about how they appreciated the thoughtfulness. I like to create special memories or make it easier to visit the area for our guests with handy tips!

Claudia331
Lecco, Italy

Dear @Lorina14 thank you for sharing your "style" and your generous approach!

About me, I just received a reservation for a birthday and I will follow your suggestion with a birthday card 😉