Changed price for same dates

Dimery0
Level 1
Boston, MA

Changed price for same dates

In July I made a reservation from 11/13 to 11/15 for $375 a night. I randomly checked the listing to look at pictures just now and saw host advertised her listing as “$250 per night for reservations between October and December 2020”. My reservations are between those dates. Is this allowed? I know ppl charge different rates for seasons and weekends but how can you charge someone a certain amount then say anyone during the same dates will pay less? 

6 Replies 6
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Dimery0 

Host can setup special promotions, for example to get reservations for the still available dates. This is a common practice in the tourism - and travel world.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Dimery0 This host is trying to fill remaining openings in her calendar, which is completely normal and, yes, certainly allowed. Just as in any other market prices may fluctuate, and one of the ways they may fluctuate is to drop (or rise, depending on the market) as check-in dates approach. As a customer you received a higher value by booking early, with your preferred dates, and having the host hold those dates for you, than someone who books later and must choose from remaining unbooked dates. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

If you book a airline ticket and a few moths later the airline has a seat sale, you don't get to then get it at the sale price. 

There's nothing shady about a host lowering prices whenever they want to try to fill their calendar.

What isn't okay is if a host tries to charge you more than the place was listed at when you booked or requested to book.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Dimery0 @It’s not same dates. Perhaps she only has weekdays and not weekends left. Maybe all future dates have longer required length. Maybe day rates have gone down and cleaning fees went up. Whatever the changes, you thought it was a good choice in July. Go and be happy. 

Heidi588
Level 10
Santa Cruz la Laguna, Guatemala

@Dimery0 I'm not a host, I'm a guest, and I spend a lot of time in airbnb's. I'm not surprised at the price change and wouldn't be offended. I would think that because of covid the host is not getting as many guests, and is trying to compete with other local listings and lower the price to try to attract more guests since their calendar isn't filling, which puts their incomes in jeopardy. Had you waited to book later, you might have gotten a better price, but then you might not have been assured to get the stay that best matched what you wanted. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Dynamic pricing. Happens for hotel rooms/flights/train tickets/theatre seats, and more. Don't let it sour your stay.