Children brought me rat poison.

Mike2715
Level 2
Roseburg, OR

Children brought me rat poison.

I recently stayed in Idanha, Oregon USA for a week during independence day. Had my family come for a get together at the bnb I was staying, and my kids brought me rat poison they found from around the place, not disclosed in bnb info. These traps were set all over the house hidden and in areas unable to see from "walk arounds". I contacted air bnb and they said that there's nothing they can do after 72 hours. I didnt know it was there until after 72 hours. I have since then been contacted by multiple bnb people but with no answers. I have uploaded pictures/ proof and have every intention to seek further legal action if my payment for this is not fully refunded. Having a family with multiple upset parents about this will clean up this mess. Don't mess with parents I suppose. 

If anyone else has had trouble with bnb support or refunds for safety concerns feel free to contact me and you can join in on moving forward. 

81 Replies 81

@Mark116 If you put people in harms way. You shouldn't be doing business. 

I highly doubt after an investigation, changes, and review. They will be just fine. 

@Huma0 bnb pays you. You work for them 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mike2715 

How?

I pay Airbnb a commission (3% per booking) for advertising my listings. They don't pay me anything.

I'm not really sure you understand how Airbnb works...

@Huma0 Most of them are from bnb. Obviously. 

Just be a good person. Good days to you all. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mike2715 wrote:

@Huma0 Most of them are from bnb. Obviously. 

What does that even mean?

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Lordy @Mike2715 It's a marketing channel you silly man. 

We pay a commission to advertise on it just as you pay a commission to use it. 

How in your mind does that equate to employment  

@Helen3 Well when the percent of money made is mostly from them. Eh, seems like employment.

"Entrepreneurs" 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mike2715 

You do know what employment is, right?

What it is not is charging hosts a commission for advertising their product and handling the payment for that product, i.e. being a middleman. The money isn't 'from them', they simply process it and take a cut. That is nothing like employment. 

I don't work for Airbnb anymore than you do. I provide accommodation (which I own/pay the mortgage, bills and taxes for) and a service (my time) to guests and the guests pay me for that. The guests also pay Airbnb for providing a booking site but the two payments are completely separate, i.e. that payment goes to Airbnb not the host. So, essentially, both the host and the guest is paying Airbnb and Airbnb is not paying either.

If I was selling a product on Ebay (who list my produce and also take a commission), would you say that I'm an employee of Ebay? If customers pay for that product using Paypal, which processes the payment and also takes a cut for doing so, would you say I'm an employee of Paypal? 

Honestly, now you are just being daft.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Mike2715 We live in the country in a 250 year old house that is impossible to hermetically seal. There are many rats and mice in the garden (as there are in every garden) that will happily try to take up residence in the house if we let them. To ensure we remain rat and mouse free we place poison in locked boxes both outside and inside the property. I am interested if you would find this acceptable? Was the poison in your listing just put out on the floor?

@Mike-And-Jane0 

Nothing is impossible to seal. 

Anything is acceptable if agreed to from any parties with proper information. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Mike2715 If you believe you can seal a 1750s brick built house with cellar and suspended floors then you are deluded I am afraid. If you were successful it would soon fall down as circulation of air is essential to stop wet and dry rot and other damp issues.

@Mike-And-Jane0  Sounds like a dangerous property that might be hard to insure as a rental property.

I can put you in touch with contractors who worked in Puerto Rico to create safe properties after those devastating tropical storms.

They sealed them up just fine and installed modern ventilation systems. 

Otherwise. Advertise property for what it is and the dangers associated. Priced to fit, obviously. 

Easy peezy. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Mike2715 Hilarious that you don't understand historic properties. There is nothing dangerous - they just need sympathetic care which I doubt contractors dealing with tropical storm damage would have any experience of. Key to caring for an old property is to maintain ventilation rather than hermetically seal them. I can put you in touch with Heritage England or just search for Georgian house repair to understand what it takes to maintain a house of this age.

@Mike-And-Jane0 key to not harming people

Giving a **bleep** more about the people and not yourselves and your property that makes you the money. 

There's modern ways you clearly don't know or care about. Try a book perhaps, maybe youtube. Or maybe that's too ne for you as well. 

@Mike-And-Jane0  Also. To answer your question, yes it was just left out in trays on the floor. Not in sealed anything, I'm afraid. 

As well as, im sure your property is wonderful. Just to know beforehand what was to be expected would better have suited the stay after knowing the reason for the stay.