Children brought me rat poison.

Mike2715
Level 2
Roseburg, OR

Children brought me rat poison.

I recently stayed in Idanha, Oregon USA for a week during independence day. Had my family come for a get together at the bnb I was staying, and my kids brought me rat poison they found from around the place, not disclosed in bnb info. These traps were set all over the house hidden and in areas unable to see from "walk arounds". I contacted air bnb and they said that there's nothing they can do after 72 hours. I didnt know it was there until after 72 hours. I have since then been contacted by multiple bnb people but with no answers. I have uploaded pictures/ proof and have every intention to seek further legal action if my payment for this is not fully refunded. Having a family with multiple upset parents about this will clean up this mess. Don't mess with parents I suppose. 

If anyone else has had trouble with bnb support or refunds for safety concerns feel free to contact me and you can join in on moving forward. 

81 Replies 81
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mike2715 wrote:

I really can't believe what a cult it is in here. You should see the complete opposite reactions ive 

I've mentioned all your names, and linked profiles. Properties.

Do not worry... the internet is only so big. Im sure they'll find it in their hearts to forgive people who don't like people doing the right thing. 

@Mike2715 Thanks for the free advertising. For sure, guests who think like you and think it's okay to do what you did might not want to book with me and that's fantastic. You've done me a huge favour. 

By the way, I've never had to refund a guest for any complaint. In several years of hosting, I've only once had a guest contact Airbnb to complain about something but they didn't believe her because she was clearly unhinged. Instead, they kicked her out. So, no, we don't keep losing these battles. You're making massive assumptions, yet again.

@Huma0  You know the saying, when someone shows you who they are believe them.  Mike's hostile, and now threatening responses on this thread tell the story.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mark116 

Yes, for sure. It's one thing disagreeing with someone. Everyone is entitled to do that. It's quite another thing to threaten people because they disagree with you. 

It's not just hostile, but normally indicative of an over inflated (and therefore most likely quite fragile) ego.

Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Mike2715   I have been following this and was reluctant to ‘chip in’ with my opinion as it largely mirrors many of the other Hosts who have commented.  Whereas I would also be upset if my children found some rat poison my reaction would not have been anywhere near as dramatic as yours and I would have happily sought a resolution with the host and made some alternative suggestions to them.  Firstly, I would always check carefully upon entry of a strange property for any potential dangers and would also keep my children under close supervision out of respect for the hosts property and for the child’s safety.  Clearly you were negligent here as the children you mention were clearly poking around unnoticed by you where they had no business being.  The review you left was truly appalling and very very different to other guests staying at this property… and IF it was that bad, and I strongly suspect it was not, you should have either contacted the host or cancelled and left.  You should NOT have stayed, made use of the amenities and then demanded your money back.  Your self entitled behaviour will most likely cause this Host some financial difficulties so I hope you are proud of yourself.. You should also be aware that if using Airbnb again, your future Hosts WILL be able to see the review you left for this host (amongst their other good ones) and will more than likely click that Declined/Cancelled button fast without even a second thought.  Just remember, there is a saying… ‘What goes around, comes around’

Nanxing0
Level 10
Haverford, PA

This sounds like the typical type of entitled guest that tries to find ANY reason to demand a full refund and crack for a free stay. Unfortunately Airbnb has been always on the side of the GUEST instead of host, not as what @Mike2715 has mentioned that Airbnb protects hosts. 

I have small children and travel with them all the time. Wherever we go we ALWAYS keep them under close supervision to make sure 1 they get no  harm and don't harm anyone else, 2 they don't damage anything that belong to the host/property. Letting the children playing around in a new environment without close supervision is critically dangerous and plain negligence. The existence of this type of guest is the main reason why some hosts are hesitant to accept reservations with small children.

Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

OK ...... own up,

who let the Troll out ?

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

The Review:

Neighbors walking through the yard at anytime, windows with no screens (or broken) open when arriving. Pictures do not match the website, especially the over grown yard. Things like mirrors, lights, and other fixtures not properly hung or attached creating hazards like mirrors falling and sharp pieces of wood (frayed and splintered). Access to hazardous rooms and there is DEFINITELY smoke and mold damage to home. Rat poison was brought to my attention by children, in the middle of the home. Curtain rods are bent and broken, some curtains held up by nails. If the effort was to make the stay as creepy as possible, then you succeeded. Would not recommend to any one. Only thing this place is good for is squatters and the Adam's family. Perhaps if you'd like to murder your children, let them loose and have an Easter hunt for whoever can find the rat poison first. Happy hunting. The price should be cut to lower than the price of the creepy motels you pay by the hour. Air bnb must be losing money because they are definitely losing business. Contacted bnb about the situation and it seems to be none of their concern. If that doesn't concern them, what will?