Cleaning help!

Moira117
Level 2
Chgo, IL

Cleaning help!

Hello!  We are new to hosting and have had such a problem finding a good cleaner/cleaning company.  Almost every single renter has complained about SOMETHING not being to their liking, despite me leaving detailed checklists and walking the cleaners around my home to discuss my expectations.  I'm starting to lose hope!

We have a 4 bed, 3 bath home that will sleep 10, so I understand there are a lot of linens, we also have a pool and so a lot of towels, etc.  Does anyone have any advise?  Do you think it's better to hire a "company"?  I single cleaner?  We live out of state and so I'm unable to "check" on things before guests arrive. 

Thanks for the help!!

12 Replies 12
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Moira117   A host who doesn't live near their rental needs a local co-host, not just a cleaner. You need someone who can check the cleaning, make sure supplies have been replenished, deal with guests personally if issues come up. 

Pamela1066
Level 2
Hoffman Estates, IL

@Moira117  I can help co host if you are

looking for one. Please message me if you would like to discuss further. 

@Pamela1066  Her rental is in Florida. You can't help her co-host unless you live close to the rental. 

Got it! Thought it was in the Chicago location. @Sarah977  Thank you! @Moira117 I do know someone who has Florida rentals depending on what city it is in. 

This is great!  I didn't know about co-hosts!  @Pamela1066 We are in Bradenton, FL.  Do you know anyone there?  Thanks for all the help guys!

@Moira117  You could try having the cleaners send you a video walk thru of the house, including closets and inside the refrigerator after each cleaning.  It would only take an extra 5 minutes and might at least help catch some oversights.  It somewhat depends on what the specific complaints have been also, how easy or not it is to prevent.  

Another question guys--are co-hosts typically someone who has their own Airbnb?  Is there a set fee for their services?  Or do you just discuss this with the co-host?  Thanks again for all the help! 

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Moira117   Your listing is lovely and uncluttered.  What are the cleaning complaints of your guests?

I use an individual housekeeper who has a helper as needed.  It took about 6 months to work through the guest comments and have her turnover of the property be complaint free.  I had to remove or change a few things, and she had to understand the importance of certain tasks and checks.  Cleaning an STR is very different than cleaning in a regular home, I.e., my personal cleaning lady will not touch my husband’s clutter whereas my STR housekeeper makes the property photo ready.

I pay my housekeepers the local going rate until the cleaning is consistent. Then I increase the payment per cleaning to encourage their loyalty and diligence.  I also pay extra when they have to clean behind a nightmare guest.  I have had the same teams for more than 15 years, whereas my neighbor has a new service every few months.  

Thank you @Lorna170  for your kind words and this helpful response!  We had a HORRILBE incident with one of our cleaners just not washing or even changing the sheets before our new guests arrived.  Obviously, this is unforgiveable, but then I think I just got nervous because we got a complaint after our next cleaner regarding the floors being dirty.  The guests were very nice about it and said that the floors looked clean but when they took their shoes off their feet got dirty.  

I spoke to my cleaner and she said she did wipe them down but maybe they needed more of a deep clean.  So, I think I was just getting panicked.  I love your advise about allowing some time before you expect your place to be complaint free.  

How do you decide when do pay your team more or less?  Like for the "nightmare" guests?  We've thought about paying our cleaner more when there are 10 guests (our max) vs. like 4 guests.  But I'm just not sure how to determine this?

Thanks again!

Moira 

@Moira117  When offering a whole house,  the cleaning expense really should not be less when there are only 4 guests versus more when there are 10 guests.  4 guests could be pigs who use everything in the house and sleep in every bed, and 10 guests could have an OCD mom with them who tidies up so well that you're not sure they even stayed.  I start paying more when the guest reviews are consistently glowing about the cleanliness, and I share the reviews (good and bad) with my staff.

As to your floors, yes, the cleaner may have wiped them down, but depending on how she does it there can still be residue.  My housekeeper will use a wet mop and product on the floors, but when she is ready to leave, she will take a swiffer wet jet over the floors again, backing out the door and locking up.  This ensures no residue to dirty the guest's socks.  Try this method on your own floors...you may be surprised at what is on the swiffer pad.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Moira117  I never heard of "wiping down" floors. What does that mean? Floors need to be thoroughly vacuumed and then washed.

I’m in Houston Texas if anyone need cleaning service my name is Devin I can be reached at 346-754-4734