Compare VRBO review system to Airbnb

Susan990
Level 10
Redmond, OR

Compare VRBO review system to Airbnb

Earlier this  2020 year I signed onto VRBO platform and synced my calendars .  From the start

I noticed the stark differences of VRBO's review system and Airbnb's.  The VRBO rating questions

were simple and straight forward.  It did not allow for any sort of guest manipulation or abuse. And 100% of my

VRBO guests submitted their reviews and gave me top rating 100%. A simple system. Adult and business like

questionnaire which I believe might also be modeled on the international system.  And I was happy to give all 

my guests a top review because they were all just perfect.

Hello Airbnb, will you please consider adopting the VRBO rating review system.  Please !  You are loosing guests

with your annoying and pestering system which only rewards bad guests intent upon hurting the host.  And hosts

like me will not Fear the guest review as we do now.  And that fear destroys all the joy we get from Hosting and

participating in this business which we have invested in and enjoy.

The greatest gift you could give to us hosts to show your appreciation would be this adoption of a new review system

which models on the VRBO system  and its success.

I am confident you will notice a great spike in revenue and host sign-ups and guest user boost as well.  Just in time for Christmas.

Susan
19 Replies 19
Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

@Susan990  I agree, the survey for the guest is made so that he thought about anything bad that was (or could be in the accommodation). This poll screams - oh, do not give good marks at any possible doubts.😆
Booking com also has a very reasonable rating scale, from 1-10, and these are actual moments, without strange emotional nuances.

@Anna9170  I have no experience with VRBO as a host, but 100% of my experiences with it as a guest have been terrible. 

In my most recent encounter with the review system, the most relevant thing I had to comment on was an absurdly high extra fee added after confirmation that wasn't disclosed in the listing. I was required to re-submit the review because the content policy prohibits you from stating the rates that were charged. My main objection wasn't in the review process itself so much as the fact that VRBO had no problem whatsoever with dodgy hosts imposing hidden charges.

I can see how a lot of multi-platform hosts prefer VRBO, as it's a far less review-sensitive site and they're not going all-in on the anxiety-inducing behavior modification strategies like Airbnb. And I would also love to see an overhaul of Airbnb's review system - personally, I'd abolish the star ratings outright, eliminate the "Location" category, and keep the focus squarely on accuracy.  My view is that hosts should be able to offer just about any type and quality of experience they please, as long as the listing is completely truthful and provides enough information about the property for guests to make an educated decision. If your listing title is "Muddy Brothel on a Hog Farm in Georgia," the Cleanliness rating is irrelevant - the important thing is the text of the reviews affirming that it's dirty enough!

Yes Andrew! You nailed it.  Accuracy as the focus. You get what you paid for principal.

Susan
Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Anonymous 

It seems you're only mistaken about the State. It's not Georgia, but Missouri. Or it was five years ago, maybe relocated following FBI raid. 

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/porcine-of-the-crime/

3 Jan 2015 ... Suspected for sometime by local authorities of running a pig farm functioning as an underground pig brothel, where clients paid for sexual ...

LOL it makes me happy that you guys find the Georgia hog farm amusing, but you now know more about my childhood than I'll ever really admit! 

@Anonymous perhaps 'Hog Brothel on a Farm in Muddy Georgia' would bring in the wrong type of guests..

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

yep, I'm very active on Vrbo... and it is much more streamlined all the way around, not so much virtue signaling and telling hosts how to run "their" listing

Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

@Anonymous   I have not yet developed a relationship with VRBO). I wrote that it is on the platform of Airbnb that the principle of review from the guest is not adequate, because the guest is initially hinted at and pointed to problems, even if they are not.
On booking com the most reasonable review rating so far.

"Muddy Brothel on a Hog Farm in Georgia" - thats great! 🤣🤣🤣

Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

@Anonymous  By the way, I read the ads on Airbnb very carefully, and often already in the notes (the smallest font, of course))))) it is stated that the deposit on arrival, plus payment for cleaning, plus payment for towels and sheets ... Is it legal according to Airbnb policy? I find it strange that such lists are not yet blocked. 

@Anna9170 I'll start with the caveat that new policies can be introduced at any time without an announcement, and they aren't usually rolled out to all regions at once, so I can't say for sure if Airbnb has a defined policy on this. But to the best of my knowledge, Airbnb hosts can require additional payments on arrival for all the things you mentioned, as long as they disclose them in the listing.  I don't think it's the best way to structure payments from a hospitality perspective, but I do think all fees should be disclosed in full before the customer makes a binding commitment.

@Anna9170 

Agencies with hundreds or thousands of listings are entitled to charge cash at the door.

They have special contracts with airbnb.

Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

@Ute42  Yeah, it explains a lot. Frankly speaking, I don't even mind, because the guest who came and got into such a situation will be furious. He is used to paying TOTAL amount for everything, and here  - hello! For this you will pay extra, and all this on the fact of arrival...
Accordingly, the review will be very low, as they deserve ))). So next time guests will read the rules carefully and choose me, only me.....😂

@Anna9170 

I would always chose You and so everybody else would. Anna is the best !!

Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

@Ute42  Thank you, dear, for choosing me! )))