Copper sinks-- anyone have one?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Copper sinks-- anyone have one?

We are in a pickle about replacing our sink and counters. We made some decisions and due to material shortages and a really difficult experience with a template (long, dull story) we are back to square one. We only have a limited time for an install in November due to bookings. 

One of the items we have considered for a Plan B design is a copper sink. Anyone have one? I just wonder how it holds up with guests.

21 Replies 21
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Laura2592 

I suspect that wood and copper would not get along well together. Oxidation from the copper would leach into the surrounding wood and people would be yelping that it was dirty.

Soapstone would be impervious, I think, but it’s also very heavy.

Too bad about the cast-iron sink. Seems like it could be braced up with steel brackets but I don’t know exactly what the cabinet configuration is.

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Laura2592 Have you tried Second Chance in Baltimore? It's a massive repurposed building supply  place. They also employ formerly incarcerated people, giving them, as well as the materials,  a "second chance."

I'm fairly sure that you could find the granite you need (maybe not the exact color) along with a sink. If your contractor can cut granite, all the better. 

They have everything from architectural salvage to toilets, cabinets, furniture, rugs, etc. Definitely worth a try, in my opinion. Good luck. 

@Kia272 yep I am familiar with them. We have a similar store here. Guaranteed they don't have it. There is only one color and finish that would work in granite and I have sourced every supplier from here to Virginia to the NY State line. Nada. 

Its just the pandemic world of remodels. Everything is a waitlist or gone. It costs far more than it used to. Contractors cherry pick jobs based on ease and price. I have done a master bath and a few other projects in the last year and the issues are worse now than ever. But thanks for the suggestion!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Laura2592 

Laura, I have found over the years it is not a good idea to translate that ideal picture you have in your mind into what you will supply in a rental facility. 

Most guests are wonderful but, there is always that one that will have you scratching your head wondering how they ever made it to adulthood!

In the house I have black granite counter tops and I think they are wonderful....you don't have to worry about scratching the surface or using a cutting board and, maybe I am just a bit more careful than your average guests but I have never managed to break anything on them. I started with the same out in the listing cottage and every 4-5th guest would manage to break plates or drink glasses invariably ruining the set! So I have gone back to a timber counter-top and I use a plastic counter-top protector. It is heat resistant and comes in 2ft by 12ft rolls and costs a minuscule fraction of what counter-top replacement costs......

CAM02463.jpg

This piece had been in use for about 6 months when this photo was taken and sure, it needs a rub with oil to make the score marks disappear....but it has solved my breakage and damage issues.

A copper sink will look good but will not be as durable as stainless steel, there will always be that guest that will want to rattle the cutlery around in it until it looks like it came out of the trenches in World War 1 .....and no guest is going to look back on you with kindly thoughts because of your copper sink.

Keep it simply, after the cracking of my second glass shower door when a guest has let the flexible shower head hit it, I installed a motorised roller blind similar to what we have in our main bathroom to serve as a rigid shower curtain......

IMG20210927104654.jpg

Guests love it and I have not had a problem since...and it always looks clean, unlike glass shower doors, it's battery operated so there are no mains power issues.  It was my 'practical' solution.

I understand you want to provide a lovely unique listing, but Laura, the problem with copper is, it is soft, it will dent in something is dropped into it, just not practical. Butchers block is designed to look chopped into but it is not designed to have food colourings engraved into it forever more.

Try to keep it simple and practical.

Cheers........Rob

Ursula117
Level 3
Ottawa, Canada

We have handmade hammered copper sinks in our Airbnb in Mexico.  They are lovely and rich and definitely add a sense of luxury that porcelain couldn’t possibly

compete with.  Ours are already dark, not shiny, and the weathered patina hides flaws and imperfections.  They look rustic and beautiful but part of our emphasis is to feature things that are produced locally.  I’m not sure how well this translates for you and your kitchen sink.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Ursula117  thank you! Are they easy to keep clean?

We have very hard water in the Yucatan and so the white spots show up on the dark brown copper.  We do have to wipe them dry but it’s no more work than our matte black faucets.  Or a chrome faucet for that matter.

i think where you’d drive yourself crazy with cleaning and polishing is if you wanted that bright, shiny look and it had to be perfect with no spots or blemishes.