Day 23 - Christmas: What will you be cooking?

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Day 23 - Christmas: What will you be cooking?

Hello all, for those of you who celebrate Christmas, and those of you who are also responsible for the cooking of the traditional Christmas meal, what are your plans for Christmas lunch or dinner?

christmas-food-delivery-2020-christmas-by-qt-at-home-144032-2.jpg

What is traditional in your country and do you feel it's best to stick to that, or do you go "off piste" and do something different?

I tend to stick to traditional, but that doesn't mean turkey. Here in the UK, most people think of a roast turkey as the required main course for a Christmas meal, but actually, that is an imported American tradition. Goose would be a far more traditional British option, but not many people go for that anymore (expensive!). I don't actually know anyone that loves turkey, so I usually go for a different bird.

What if you are vegetarian or vegan? Last year, due to Christmas kind of being cancelled here in London, I spent it with my one housemate who was officially a pescatarian (although mostly ate vegan food) so I had to get creative. It turns out better than I thought.

Anyway, I am rather late in planning the Christmas meal I am shortly to cook for my family. We are talking about people from different cultures who have very different preferences. Ideas and inspiration would be greatly appreciated.

100 Replies 100
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Paul1255 

I made garlic and herb chicken and the duck tagine with clementines.Depositphotos_243929644_xl-2015.jpg

I didn't make the truffle parsnip brioche thingy, but I might still make it just to see what it's like, as I have so many parsnips still! 

For sides, I went with roast potatoes with sage, honey and black pepper roasted parsnips and carrots, the sizzled Brussel sprouts with pistachios and pomegranate (below) and vegan stuffing balls.

Brussels-sprouts-pomegranate-fc3a60b.jpg

There were a few other things that I didn't end up making in the end because you kind of need to eat them as soon as they are ready. The food got packed up for my family.

Did you have Xmas with your family and your usual traditional meal?

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This topic @Huma0 :

Stephanie_0-1640263321740.png

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Huma0 

I usually don't do a whole lot on holidays and just do some light easy go to stuff. 

Hummus, healthy muffins. (with homemade tahini) 

hummus.jpeg

Chili with beyond meat chicken strips. Great for cold days! 

36876759_2123633767664854_4782744717467058176_n.jpeg

This was from one of the last meet up potluck two years ago. I made the vegan cheese cake in the back. It was a raw food meetup, but like to do the cheesecake on holidays.   

raw meetup.jpeg
Healthy banana bread. I have to create my own recipe for something both vegan and healthy. 

banna bread.jpeg
I haven't been cooking as much because the back apartment is connected to the same AC/Heat so don't want to blast them out with anything too strong. But gonna try using an Insta Pot I so far haven't used and maybe it doesn't put out so much smell. 

Oh and for New Years a local tradition that started in the Low Country, where I'm from on South Carolina coast, is called Hoppin John. Its three peas mixed with rice. It originated in West Africa. And brings good luck. My mom used to make it and we would go out to the country on a pick nick. I just read that you are supposed to leave three different kind of peas on the plate for good luck for the new year. 

(borrowed pic) 

2552201_South_360.jpeg

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@John5097 

Wow, that all looks very healthy. Homemade hummus is always so good. Have you tried homemade baba ganoush? So yummy!

@Huma0 

Yes, the first pic is homemade baba ganoush! I usually cook the eggplant with the muffins. 

I used to get baba ganoush somewhere when I was in college but can't remember the exact place which is unusual. But so many years later I was craving it and noticed its also made with tahini so decided to make it. 

sometimes I like to take pictures 

Hard to believe I would be cooking something like this. Completely counter intuative but I like to just try stuff for myself and see if I like it or not, and then start craving. 

36912959_2123633630998201_8146997591175856128_n.jpeg 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@John5097 

One of my local supermarkets used to sell baba ganoush, but then stopped. So, I looked up a recipe and realised how easy it is (like most dips). The home made stuff tasted so much better. I'll never go back to buying it ready made, unless it's freshly made in a restaurant or deli.

@Huma0 

I so glad you made this topic! I was much more motivated making new dishes for potluck meetups but we haven't had any in almost two years, so these cooking topics are inspiring. As it turns out I've done so much contruction work it was second nature to go out and get supplies and make something. 

This was the tahini recipe I used and had other links made from it, like baba ganoush just below. The weird this is that I have to add more oil then finally water just to get it to blend in the food processor. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but it turns out fine. Of course you can just buy it but this is how I first made it, and noticed the links. Yes all kinds of dips and salad dressings!  

https://www.inspiredtaste.net/26901/easy-tahini-recipe/

https://www.inspiredtaste.net/24825/baba-ganoush-recipe-roasted-eggplant-dip/

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@John5097 

Thanks for the links. I will definitely give those a go, even if it's not at Christmas. 

Yes, sometimes you have to tweak the recipe. The version of baba ganoush I make is a hybrid of these two recipes (minus the lamb):

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/baba-ganoush-sesame-crackers

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/loin-lamb-baba-ganoush

I can also recommend this one, if you want a different spin on it:

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/artichoke-baba-ganoush

@Huma0 Yum! I saved a few of those! Had to look up what aubergines was! 🙂 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@John5097 

Sorry, should have mentioned that's what we call eggplant!

Nick
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

actual footage of me as I am about to start reading this thread @Huma0 @John5097 @Ann72

😍😂😍 @Nick 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Nick 

Yep, this thread is making me increasingly hungry, especially @Angela1056 's spread!

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Huma0 not a darn thing. 

Unfortunately I have a very quick trip to see a lot of relatives who are angry that the trip is so quick, and that we are staying in an Airbnb and renting a car instead of moving in with them for 3 weeks, as they would prefer. We just don't have the time off. So its unclear if we will be hosted a Christmas meal. I think we are still invited to a brunch by one person who isn't angry. But not 100% sure. My meal may consist of a Starbucks scone.