Day 23 - Christmas: What will you be cooking?

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Day 23 - Christmas: What will you be cooking?

Hello all, for those of you who celebrate Christmas, and those of you who are also responsible for the cooking of the traditional Christmas meal, what are your plans for Christmas lunch or dinner?

christmas-food-delivery-2020-christmas-by-qt-at-home-144032-2.jpg

What is traditional in your country and do you feel it's best to stick to that, or do you go "off piste" and do something different?

I tend to stick to traditional, but that doesn't mean turkey. Here in the UK, most people think of a roast turkey as the required main course for a Christmas meal, but actually, that is an imported American tradition. Goose would be a far more traditional British option, but not many people go for that anymore (expensive!). I don't actually know anyone that loves turkey, so I usually go for a different bird.

What if you are vegetarian or vegan? Last year, due to Christmas kind of being cancelled here in London, I spent it with my one housemate who was officially a pescatarian (although mostly ate vegan food) so I had to get creative. It turns out better than I thought.

Anyway, I am rather late in planning the Christmas meal I am shortly to cook for my family. We are talking about people from different cultures who have very different preferences. Ideas and inspiration would be greatly appreciated.

100 Replies 100
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Sure have thanks @Huma0 

Love it!

@Helen427 and community friends our Christmas lunch this year is a Prawn (shrimp on the barbeque) with garlic and butter and fresh fruit to follow. Our Christmas day usually starts with a cooked breakfast and  when all the family are here for the lunch or evening gathering is is a cold selection with cold ham, chicken, prawns and sometimes crayfish (lobster). A selection of different salads and everyone serve themselves (less waste).

Deserts after a break is fresh fruit and cheese platters, pavlova, triffle, plum pudding but we dont put the alcohol flame on as this is a bit "posh" for us and why would you burn the alcohol when you can drink it.

@Laurelle3  Ok, I am hungry now .D it sounds delicious.

Just curious... does Santa wear a bathing suit and arrives on a ski jet in Australia? 🙂

@Branka-and-Silvia0 Santa arrives with 6 white boomers (kangaroos) but the tourist Santas are on the beach, surfing.

@Laurelle3  Talk about living the dream!  

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Laurelle3 

That sounds so delicious. I used to live in Cape Town, where they are big on barbecues too, but I only remember having the traditional Christmas lunch of turkey and all the trimmings. Barbecued prawns sound like an amazing alternative.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Huma0 

It's often good to whip up some homemade ice-cream or Gelato.... it's a lot easier than people realise..

@Francesca @Francesca3 @Francesca9 @France7 @Angel-Christmas-Joy0 @Pillow-And-Coffee0 @Hibiscus-Beach-House0 @Desserie0 @Mealla1 @Ice0 @Clarice-Cantarelli0 

@Celebrate0 @Greek-Bnb0 

@Cake0 @Greet1 @Italian12 @Vitaliano0 @Italian-Style0 

@Helen427 homemade mango ice cream and strawberry ice cream goes down well but you have to make it the day before.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

So, here are some "off piste" recipes that I am considering as alternatives to this year's Christmas dinner, considering not all my guests are used to the usual British fair.

A Moroccan inspired Duck Tagine with clementines:

Depositphotos_243929644_xl-2015.jpg

A different take on the parsnip side (usually do them honey glazed). This is a truffled parsnip brioche pudding with hazelnut and thyme butter:

82DB25C6-F3ED-4791-9B1D-5BC1FEB791E0.jpeg

A bit adventurous, but what do you think?

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

But not sure if the two would work together...

I think they both look amazing, and the clementines would balance the truffles really well.  Go for it!

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ann72 

I think that truffle (like oysters) is one of those acquired tastes that people either love or hate but it will be just one of several sides, so people can take it or leave it as they please. I think I have enough parsnips to do the more traditional version too as a different option. I am still not sure about the oyster complaint as no one was forced to eat them!

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Huma0  My mum would usually make a roast Turkey, but over the last few years would roast a goose or duck- always good to try different things, we had salmon en-croute one year!

Mum always makes Xmas pudding (2 a year, one for the Xmas coming and one to mature for the following year!) and a Xmas cake.

Our traditional starter is a prawn cocktail, and even when I have had Xmas apart from my family such as last year, I will always make that- very retro I love it.

On Xmas Eve evening as is the tradition in our family in Trinidad, we have freshly baked bread, and roasted ham with different cheeses and treats.

I love hearing about what other people do, and their traditions old and new. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Paul1255 

Wow, good effort by your mum. No one in my family likes Xmas pudding or Xmas cake, so I don't bother with them anymore. No one even likes mince pies. Desert is always the trickiest part of this meal. I still haven't decided what I am making!

I love a prawn cocktail too! 

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Huma0  what did you make in the end? 🙂