Day 23 - Christmas: What will you be cooking?

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Day 23 - Christmas: What will you be cooking?

Hello all, for those of you who celebrate Christmas, and those of you who are also responsible for the cooking of the traditional Christmas meal, what are your plans for Christmas lunch or dinner?

christmas-food-delivery-2020-christmas-by-qt-at-home-144032-2.jpg

What is traditional in your country and do you feel it's best to stick to that, or do you go "off piste" and do something different?

I tend to stick to traditional, but that doesn't mean turkey. Here in the UK, most people think of a roast turkey as the required main course for a Christmas meal, but actually, that is an imported American tradition. Goose would be a far more traditional British option, but not many people go for that anymore (expensive!). I don't actually know anyone that loves turkey, so I usually go for a different bird.

What if you are vegetarian or vegan? Last year, due to Christmas kind of being cancelled here in London, I spent it with my one housemate who was officially a pescatarian (although mostly ate vegan food) so I had to get creative. It turns out better than I thought.

Anyway, I am rather late in planning the Christmas meal I am shortly to cook for my family. We are talking about people from different cultures who have very different preferences. Ideas and inspiration would be greatly appreciated.

100 Replies 100
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Loni56 

Thank you! Those are not actually my photos though (stolen from the Internet). I am very into presentation of food for special occasions though, so I will try to take some photos this year, if things aren't too frantic, and post them after.

Do you celebrate Christmas and, if so, what do you normally eat?

I went to Brazil many years ago. From what I remember, Brazilians love their meat!

Loni56
Level 10
Santa Catarina, Brazil

@Eles0

sim fazia amava em toda simplicidade que meus pais tinha!

natal era especial tinha cheiro de natal !

trouxe  para minha casa. como princípio

só que alguns anos não conseguimos mais fazer algo tão especial!!

mais quero retomar e muito gratificante reunir a família ao redor de um mesa compartilhar uma ceia de Natal

a comida e mais carne assada do dia do natal peru! chester! Ou um bom assado de forno carne vermelha! acho que de cada região 

do Brasil os costumes. mudam

como somos descendente alemão 

e outra cultura de outros lugares

Feliz Natal

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Loni56 

I wish I could respond in Portuguese. I live in a Brazilian/Portuguese neighbourhood, so really should try to learn, but I find it difficult!

So, I hope you don't mind me responding in English.

Yes, that sounds amazing and I am sure so many of us are looking forward to finally sitting around the table together again. 

Brazil is such a huge country. I can understand how traditions and cuisines vary enormously. I visited Rio, Paraty and Florianopolis only, so really only a tiny fraction of it. I would so much love to go back there again. I have very found memories of my time there!

Feliz Natal!

Here is a Google translation. I hope it's not too off the mark!

Eu gostaria de poder responder em português. Eu moro em um bairro brasileiro / português, então realmente deveria tentar aprender, mas acho difícil!

Então, espero que você não se importe que eu responda em inglês.

Sim, isso parece incrível e tenho certeza que muitos de nós estamos ansiosos para finalmente sentarmos juntos à mesa novamente.

O Brasil é um país tão grande. Posso entender como as tradições e cozinhas variam enormemente. Eu visitei o Rio, Paraty e Florianópolis apenas, então realmente apenas uma pequena fração dela. Eu adoraria voltar lá novamente. Eu encontrei muitas memórias do meu tempo lá!

Loni56
Level 10
Santa Catarina, Brazil

@Eles0 nao se preocupa tenho tradutores. Automático consigo entender bem

então onde tenho minhas meus apartamento de aluguel

e são francisco do sul SC. praias

200 km da. capital Florianópolis SC.

obrigada 😒😍

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Loni56 

Unfortunately, Google translate isn't translating your message so well, but I understand that you are not so far from Florianópolis?

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Sadly, my family Christmas got 'corona cancelled' on Christmas morning 😞

I still cooked though (I had bought sooooo much food) and made sure everyone got something to eat. We just weren't able to eat it together.

e06c3ef9-a404-4dc6-9e98-3a1d01515df3.jpg

@Huma0 Oh that's too bad.  We curtailed our Christmas also, but that was mostly due to so much drama in getting plans finalized for Thanksgiving that we felt a little burnt out on trying to herd cats, I mean family, to commit; and we vowed that next year we're going away for the holidays.  

I did not make Christmas Pudding, but am still considering it.  I don't think we sell 'suet' in the US, but I read you can use old fashioned shortening instead, assuming that can still be found.  I do remember my grandmother used Crisco to fry everything back in the day.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mark116 

Yes, I think many people missed Christmas again this year. My family came to pick up food so at least it didn't all go to waste and they were not left with empty bellies! 

It's such a long time ago that I made Christmas pudding. I can't really remember what I used. 

You could maybe give this a go. It uses butter instead.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/lighter-christmas-pudding

Loni56
Level 10
Santa Catarina, Brazil

@Huma0 que lastima!! fiquem bem!!

logo estejam cursados deste vírus maldito

Abraço

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Loni56 

Thank you! Yes there was a lot of stress, particularly over the six month old baby, but she was taken to the hospital for observation and is now well again. Phew. 

Le's hope that next Christmas is a happier one.

I hope all is well with you.

Loni56
Level 10
Santa Catarina, Brazil

estamos todos bem !

e desejo que fiquem bem também

e no outro natal e so gratidão

esta esperança temos que ter dia .elhores virão 😒