Day 8: Month of Celebration Hikers and Hounds

Day 8: Month of Celebration Hikers and Hounds

IMG_20190919_135323.jpg

Reflecting on the last year and Airbnb has given me a lot to think about.

I was going to make this a shameless plug for re-homed greyhounds, but it's more of a story about the way things work out in the oddest of ways, and Airbnb has played a fair part in our lives this year.  So you'll get the greyhound plug at the end. 😆

What we hadn't appreciated when we downsized and moved to a derelict "doer-upper" was that we were in a perfect place for Airbnb. Close to a popular coastal hiking path.  Being broke our conversations often went along the lines "Maybe we can make a little extra from Airbnb, but what about the dogs?"  and "But won't it drive us mad having people in the house" But we desperately needed some extra money to get by on. When you are in your late 50s your work options get more limited.  

It took the best part of a year to sort out the house, fixing the leaks, fixing the roof, electrics, plumbing etc -YouTube was my trusty friend most nights-  but eventually we furnished the spare room,  joined Airbnb, and the bookings came thick and fast.

I should have been a bit smarter and enabled instant and same day booking, but even on the default settings the room had been booked every day it was available for in September!   

Taking advice early on from Community Center members (thank you everyone!) we made a big thing about having dogs in the listing, included photos of them, and still the guests came.  Our main worry about guests being put off by dogs was unfounded, and far from driving us mad the guests we had this year have mostly been a real pleasure, and from far flung places. New Zealand, Russia, Japan, Europe. 

Most of our guests turned out to really like dogs, some guests  said they were choosing us because we did  have dogs here.

So my Day of Celebration is every day with a dog in it, and thanks Airbnb for sending us all the guests!

Now the shameless plug for re-homed/retired greyhounds!

1.  Ex racers are usually all very fit. Greyhounds are bred for fitness, not looks.

2. Ex Racers can be as young as two years old. And they live as long as any other big dog.

3. They need surprisingly little exercise. 2 x 20 minute walks a day.

4. Many don't bark.

5. They seem to sleep for 35 hours a day

6. They are generally very sociable with people and other large dogs.

7. The only faster land animal is a Cheetah. So that's pretty cool, eh?

20 Replies 20

Yes, they are a hunting animal, and it is hard wired in to them to chase stuff. I have been dragged on my face 800 yards over the cliffs by three of these nutcases because one of them spotted a plastic bag blowing in the wind.... that 800 yards didn't take very long lol. 

we have one who is "a bit pushy" with the food as well.

The staffie and greyhound (and pit bull) are the same family, they are all very people-friendly.  I agree, people who travel with pets tend to travel with very sociable pets.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Thanks @Kevin1322 @Helen350 @Bronwyn38 @Wende2 @Cathie19  and others, how surprizing @Kevin1322 chose this topic.

I think @Stephanie  might have to rename the Month of Celebration to The Month of Celebration of our Animals!!
What's the likelihood of around 3-5 more days of Animal storied Topics before the end of the Month?? :;)
Taking bets anyone???

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

You saw through my plan @Helen427 ! Haha, not really, though I am truly uplifted by all these lovely animals!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

sure did @Stephanie , heartwarming stories are the best !

As you know I love my animals, even the creepy crawly ones.

I overcame a fear this years with some reptiles 😉

Noahs Ark is here for a reason

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Kevin1322  I love greyhounds! We were working with a rescue in our area to adopt one but got a call from a "death row" dog rescue and took in our little mutt. We definitely would get a greyhound if we had more space to accommodate an additional pup. Thank you so much for posting your positive experiences as a host in a home with pets. 

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Kevin1322  Thanks for your interesting post. I am a dog lover but have zero experience with Greyhounds. So any post about animals is gonna be something I'm all over. 

And yep there are many of us as you can tell that love our fur babes and so since your post we are now at day 24 there are alot of dog post............mine included. I think a video of our animals would be a great one - all the best and thanks for the info about the greyhounds. Blessings all you animal lovers!