Do guests receive their entire payment back if host cancels under current COVID-19 "grace period"

Catherine232
Level 10
Vancouver, Canada

Do guests receive their entire payment back if host cancels under current COVID-19 "grace period"

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I have July guests reaching out for cancellations. We are okay to let them and waive our normal policy, but at present the "extenuating circumstances" only applies to mid-June. I was wondering if they get their booking fee back if we cancel?

If this was discussed somewhere else, can you direct me?

5 Replies 5
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

hello @Catherine232 

If you use related keywords to your questions in the search box here in CC it should pop up the related topics where others have provided useful information.

Alternatively look under Covid19 in HELP on ABB official website.

I get the impression that ABB are relying on Government info as to the months of when cancellations may be cancelled further down the track. One would hope it's not a blanket approach...

Naturally what happens can vary considerably from country to country...and when people may need accommodation for whatever reason.

There's many people, including locals and travellers in general needing accommodation which is where ABB & the like play a valuable place in society.

Some countries are more open with travel in other locations than has been in  the past.

Thankfully elective surgery is finally resuming here in NZ after yet another disruption to the wider community and those people and support persons need accommodation, as do others for whatever reason.

It's time ABB stood up for us more to open the doors to get guests back rolling in.

Catherine232
Level 10
Vancouver, Canada

I did search with words that I thought should trigger the answer but mainly got old discussions. I find the Airbnb updates very opaque and I hesitate to cancel for guests lest they lose their booking fees (which given Canadian borders are closed and we're being asked not to travel) seems entirely unreasonable. The July guests have had their trip cancelled by their travel agents! How can they travel in that case!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Catherine232  I don't think you can do anything about whether the guests receive their service fee back or not. There have been lots of posts here saying they're being refunded in the form of credits, whether they want them or not. 

Another thing to be aware of is that if you, as the host, do the cancellation yourself, you're going to be penalized- so I'd either ask the guests to cancel themselves or cntact Airbnb and ask tem to cancel for you, with an assurance you won't be penalized.

Airbnb said: "Cancel penalty-free by May 15th. Whether you’re unable to host or you want to open your calendar for longer stays, we've extended the deadline to cancel upcoming reservations in 2020 that were booked before March 15th. You won’t pay a fee, have your calendar blocked, or have your Superhost status affected." but you never know.

@Catherine232 @Sarah977 we have canceled a few stays under this policy and the guests have received 100% cash refunds. When you cancel, you are again assured that there will be no penalty. The cancellations show as "canceled by admin" in your reservations list.

I think when hosts cancel guests always get 100% refunds, regardless of circumstances. If the guest cancels, I'm not sure what Airbnb is refunding now, and whether it is in the form of cash or travel credit.