Do you believe that the COVID-19 restrictions in you state (USA only0 are discriminatory against short term rentals?

Laura2918
Level 2
Frankfort, MI

Do you believe that the COVID-19 restrictions in you state (USA only0 are discriminatory against short term rentals?

In Michigan one can stay at a hotel or motel which remain operational, but I am not allowed to receive guests at my single family home.

21 Replies 21

@Mark116  I agree that the rules seem to be random in many places. But a hotel is subject to public health inspections, whereas I don't think a private residence is.

@Sarah977 The public health inspections are designed with general requirement and I don't think they even have any inspection protocol for COVID-19 cleaning standard. And at this moment I don't think any inspection agency has the gut to really conduct the inspection as well. Be frank the public health inspections for hotels are pretty loose and I don't think they really conduct the inspection frequently.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Nanxing0,

You are arguing about how stringent the enforcement of the inspections, and that is not something we have any way to gauge.  The fact is that municipalities are allowed to conduct health and safety inspections at hotels, motels, hostels, campsites, and public dormitories.  Generally, they are not allowed to enter a private home for an inspection unless there has been an event that impacts the property (earthquake, flood, fire, sea cliff erosion, sink hole, tree fall, lightning strike, etc.), and they are assessing if it is safe for someone to remain in the dwelling.  They are not allowed to inspect the space for cleanliness or infection control measures.

@Debra300 I mostly agree with you but want to point out that it's not 100% true. If it's your primary residence property then you are right they can't inspect it the way they want. But at this COVID-19 time I doubt if people are still renting out part of their own house due to the social distancing rule and their own safety concerns. However for those properties dedicated for rental, it's a different story. At least for now the L&I do have the right to inspect for compliance to code as they want. The only difference is that they don't have ways to sneak in if it's locked and nobody allows them in. Basically this happens a lot of time that a municiple inspector comes to a rental property. If a tenant/guest happens to open the door for the inspector, he/she can come in and conduct the inspection and give the owner a laundry list of things to fix. 

I don't know for sure, but I guess for hotels it's similar that if the health/safety inspector comes in but the hotel manager refuses the inspection, he/she cannot conduct the inspection either. 

@Sarah977   Some of the new STR laws in the US  include a yearly inspection of the property as well as mandates on how much insurance you have, so presumably, if it becomes legal to 'inspect' the residence for the permit, it would be legal to inspect for other issues as time goes on. 

@Mark116  The thing is, this is an international platform. So the way things are handled by the govts in other places can be quite different. Health inspections and regulations are virtually non-existent in many areas of the world where people may host.

Laura2918
Level 2
Frankfort, MI

Here we are, June1, and waiting for the Governor's extension of restrictions until June 12. I have 22 cancellations to date and am wondering how we will survive this? It is unfair. It does not make any sense whatsoever. I learned that a class action suit is a long and expensive process---out of the question really---but an emotional response to having our business/income hands tied. I learned that one STR owner I know applied for and is receiving unemployment. My own application is being held up for need of additional  information re my identity. Best Wishes to all those in this ongoing predicament!