Do you recommend local activities to your guests?

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Do you recommend local activities to your guests?

Recommend local activities to guests.jpg

Hi everyone!

Whether it's a nearby attraction, restaurants or hiking trails — sharing local activities and culture with guests can make a huge difference in guest experience, since it gives hosts and guests an opportunity to connect and bond.

Do you often share local culture and events with your guests? What do you often recommend them during their stay?

Have you ever received feedback on how your suggestions shaped their stay?

We would love to hear your recommendations or stories!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

25 Replies 25
Kitty-and-Creek0
Top Contributor
Willits, CA

@Bhumika 

Terrific question! We are quite serious about the hospitality we offer, so we are delighted to assist with any appropriate trip planning. We recommend restaurants, trails, destinations of all sorts. We send our guests to our favorite places, do star gazing, and take them on hikes on our ranch.They have access to our extensive reference library as well. Our feedback is uniformly positive, as we are careful to recommend places they express interest in. Yes! We love that connection and it is up to the guest whether or not it happens, of course. 

Hi @Kitty-and-Creek0 ,  sounds like you truly prioritize your guests' experience! 🌟 

I'm really curious about the "reference library"? Is it a fully fledged library with books or you mean a guidebook? What kind of books have you added in the reference library 😍 

-----

@Bhumika 

Good questions...We have a couple of binders with local information and a table of flyers. Our library of actual books is something rather enormous, eclectic and almost all non-fiction. Guests also have access to our music library as well. We have thousands of CD's, of wide ranging styles, from our years as public radio music host/programmers. Whenever we'd travel, we'd bring home a sack of music and stories from the local cultures to share with listeners.  

Guy991
Top Contributor
Sintra, Portugal

Hello @Bhumika ,

That’s a great question.

With many guests, we go over their itinerary, offering guidance on when, where, and how to visit places—such as where to park and when to go to avoid crowds. We help them arrange their plans to ensure they make the most of their time and don’t miss out on key experiences. Recently, I had a group of four who struggled to get tickets to a major attraction, so I booked the tickets for them, even going home to print them and driving back to deliver them. 

For guests visiting Portugal for the first time, we often welcome them with some pastel de nata, a local delicacy.

Lately, due to the low season, we’ve become more flexible and started accepting shorter stays, like two nights. Generally speaking, guests on shorter stays prefer minimal interaction, reducing the experience to more of a simple accommodation. They usually opt for self check-in over personal interaction.

In response, we adjusted our approach. For guests staying up to three nights, we offer a quick check-in and refer them to our house book, which contains plenty of information.

For longer stays of four nights or more, where guests are looking for a more immersive experience and want to treat my home as their own for a few days or weeks, I’m happy to provide as many tips and recommendations as they like. On more than one occasion, guests have invited me back in the evening for a drink and to discuss local traditions, the economy, real estate, geography, the Portuguese language, the great earthquake, or any other topics related to Portugal they’re curious about.

From Beijing to Montreal, we’ve had guests who invited us to meet them whenever we visit their city.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Wow @Guy991 , it sounds like you have a thoughtful approach to tailoring the guest experience based on their stay length. Do you usually prefer long term or short stay guests?

It's such a lovely idea to welcome first-time visitors with a local treat 😋 ! How do your guests react to such a kind gesture? 😍

-----

Cara344
Level 2
Colorado Springs, CO

Hi!

In my online guidebook, I highlight nearby restaurants, museums, parks, and trails. I figure most guests can google the area and find the major tourist attractions, so in my guidebook, I offer suggestions for how to enjoy these attractions as locals would.

For instance, everyone wants to visit The Garden of the Gods, but it is a large park and is very busy. I suggest the hike we usually take with out-of-town family because it is less busy, scenic, and not so strenuous for those getting used to the elevation change.

Not all of our guests offer the reason for their visit, and I respect their privacy. For the guests who reach out with recommendation requests, I tell them the more specific they are about what they are looking for the better recommendation I can make. I do not regularly recommend local cultural events - the guest would need to let me know they are looking for that sort of experience.

I have received great feedback: the nearby roman-style pizza place was "probably the best pizza they ever ate," and the date night dinner & cocktails suggesting was "just what they were looking for." An avid trail-running couple specifically asked for trails that locals use and not ones full of tourists. It was really fun to think of good trails for them to try!

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Cara344 , thanks for sharing your ideas 😍 It sounds like your guidebook offers a wonderful local perspective and personalized recommendations.

I'm curious, how do you keep your recommendations updated, especially for restaurants and events? Do you have a process for gathering new suggestions and adding them for guests? 

-----

I'm sure my "process" would improve if it were more structured, lol! I'd say my process is "scanning the environment." I am continually taking notice of new businesses, restaurants, and listening for what friends and coworkers are talking about and new things they did or tried.

As for trails and hikes, I'm not as much of a trail runner as I used to be, but I am still connected to that community and have personal experiences with various trails and hikes, so I draw on that when making recommendations for my guidebook as well as personal requests for recommendations.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

That's a great idea @Cara344 , the process of " learning as you go" definitely makes sense 😉

I'm sure guests appreciate your tailored recommendations and guidance 😍 Which is one of your most favorite reviews that a guest left for your hospitality? 

-----

Barang0
Level 2
Krong Siem Reap, Cambodia

Local activities suggestion is part of our customer care. We know how stressful it is for most of guests during their exotic trip. Our suggestions including temples excursion related activities, local food experiencing and top things to do. They are first the already made itinerary but the tailor-made is also available to better suit the different preference of every guest.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Barang0 , thank you for sharing! Offering options like temple excursions, local food experiences as a part of customer care does really add a personal touch to guests trip.

Do you usually pass over the itinerary to guests before arrival or share more information on arrival?

In what type of occasions , do you help guests prepare tailored itineraries?

We look forward to learning from your valuable insights! 🌻

-----

Karen4131
Top Contributor
Malmö, Sweden

Hi @Bhumika 

Interesting question, which I think all hosts are working on and trying to balance so that there’s neither too little nor too much.

I’ve created a more extensive guidebook, which I sometimes worry might be too comprehensive, and at the same time, along with my welcome letter in the house, I provide a map of the local hiking trails in the nature and forests around my property.

The latter is something people are incredibly happy with, and it’s something they use and comment on in their reviews. I’ve never received any feedback on my guidebook, so I don’t know if people are leaving the property or if they are just wandering on foot in the nature around my place during their stay. I also quite like the latter, that they get rooted in the nature and don’t want to leave it while staying at my place 🌲🍁🌳

Karen4131_0-1729755463466.png

Best regards,

Karen

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Karen4131 , what a beautiful picture! Such pictures always remind me of Robert Frost's poem " The Road Not Taken" , one of my favourites 😍

To me it sounds like you’ve created a great balance between providing detailed info and letting guests enjoy the natural surroundings. I really love there are so many activities to do around your listing during summer and fall season.

How are the winters in your area? Do you usually adjust your recommendations based on different seasons?

-----

Karen4131
Top Contributor
Malmö, Sweden

Yes, @Bhumika, it’s a beautiful and touching poem. I’ll think about it the next time I choose that path - or road 🙂

Due to the frost, we’re closing the house for rental now that winter is coming. There are too many things we fear will be too challenging for guests … one of them being filling the hot tub with water, which we take from the lake.

But I’ve still uploaded some autumn and winter photos, and I can see that the listing keeps being added to people’s wishlists. I think this cozy dark atmosphere with autumn’s golden trees and snow, the fire in the fireplace, is attracting many guests, and I’m considering that maybe next winter we should find some good, simple solutions for winter rentals.