Does anyone know what Airbnbs policy is regarding participating in homes for Ukranians and what we do with current bookings. Will we be penalised if we cancel them?

Answered!
Claire1774
Level 2
Inverness, United Kingdom

Does anyone know what Airbnbs policy is regarding participating in homes for Ukranians and what we do with current bookings. Will we be penalised if we cancel them?

Would be intrested if AIRBNB have a policy in place for this?

1 Best Answer
Claire1774
Level 2

Thanks for this Kate. 

7 Replies 7

@Claire1774   Once again, this is a terrible idea. No, Airbnb is not encouraging hosts to screw over its paying customers and ruin their travel plans in order to offer an "open home." Housing refugees is an admirable goal, but it's not an "extenuating circumstance" that would exempt you from cancellation penalties; your calendar would be blocked, which would also make the dates ineligible for Open Homes bookings. And why shouldn't that be the case? If you're willing to break your commitments to the people who have already trusted you with their plans, one has to wonder if you can be trusted with the welfare of a hypothetical refugee family.

Claire1774
Level 2

My apologies if this came across as being firmly set in stone as to my plans...it was meant to come across in a more hypothetical way as a general question given the situation in Ukraine but thank you for clarifying with your insight.  I have never broken a commitment to any of my guests and was under the assumption this was an open non judgemental forum to raise queries.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Claire1774 good lord no. the one thing you will get here is judgements!

oooh compared to another ABB forum (unofficial) this place is really nice. 

Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Claire1774  It is indeed a dreadful situation and many people want to do what they can.  But as pointed out if you cancel then you are not only letting a guest down but your calendar will be blocked and you will also have to accept any other penalties that will be applied.  Airbnb, despite all the help they are giving are nether the less a Business and need to generate income.  What you could do, is perhaps contact some guests who have made reservations, explain politely and without pressure that you want to free up some time for refugees and ask if they would be willing to move their dates or cancel themselves for a full refund to enable this.  

Claire1774
Level 2

Thanks for this Kate. 

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Or you can open your listing up  around your existing bookings for hosting refugees. There are opportunities to offer shorter term as well as longer term stays @Claire1774