ENGLAND IS OPEN AGAIN

Shaun69
Level 10
Hurstpierpoint, United Kingdom

ENGLAND IS OPEN AGAIN

Hi fellow hosts, Today the 4th July 2020 we opened our doors to guests for the first time since 24th March 2020. It has been strange to have no guests in our lodges for such a long period but I am happy to report that two couples arrived today from London and we are back and running. COVID secure policies are in place so no slippers or dressing gowns, throws are out and the smell of detergent is everywhere!!!! However my staff and I are happy that the world is beginning to return to the "new normal" and my wife had a smile on her face which is good (she is Welsh).

Be Happy and Be Safe Shaun

7 Replies 7
Katrina79
Level 10
Saskatchewan, Canada

@Shaun69 @Things are back up and running for us as well. It’s been busy since the beginning of June but I think in my province of Saskatchewan in Canada they started opening things up sooner than England. I’m sure you’ll be fully booked before you know it! Take cate and stay safe! 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Lucky you @Shaun69  bookings are substantially down across the UK apart from in coastal/tourist areas.

My first set of guests checked out today, but a completely empty calendar apart from that. So glad to hear you are getting bookings.

Why no slippers or dressing gowns by the way. Mine get washed in the same way that I wash linens and towels?

Shaun69
Level 10

Hi @Helen3 you are right about the lack of bookings, looking past July and August we have next to nothing from mid September onwards. However I am optimistic about things recovering, we all  know it will take time but people will adapt. Regarding slippers and gowns our risk assessment identified them as an issue so to avoid problems I simply removed them from our lodges. I probably over-reacted but we will do another risk assessment at the end of next week and re-assess the procedures we have put in place.

BE HAPPY AND BE SAFE Shaun

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Thanks @Shaun69 

Good to hear you have summer bookings.

In terms of the future we will have to wait and see, as you say it will take time and the nature of our bookings will change with more people having staycations.

Best of luck to all our hosts and guests out there.

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Helen3  and @Shaun69 

I hope it picks up for you. 

I think many places outside of the coastal regions will be affected, at least until the major tourist attraction places open again. Also, many people who would probably have travelled, can't as the economy has been/is being hit quite badly- increased in unemployment, loss in businesses etc. I can only imagine people being more open to travelling to open country vs urban areas, as to be able to get back in touch with nature and not have to consciously worry of social distancing, etc. 

I really do wish you luck, maybe try updating your listing(s) as to see if there is any changes capable of pushing traffic to your sites. Good luck 🙂

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

@Shaun69 Thats great news, we never did close but lost 80% over the 4 months prior to June's reawakening.  Were at about 70% of norm now and climbing slowly but noticed the trends are way different now, very few gaps between booking and stay (more Instant Books) and lots more visitors from closer to home, lots more first timers (a few I had to dissuade by asking lots of questions they didn't seem to want to answer) , a couple have had issues they created themselves by not reading our listing completely (or the rules for that matter!).  These are new and imperfect conditions to host or be a guest and hopefully temporary!!!!!!  (cant wait for an inoculation!!!!!!!  Host safely, JR

Shaun69
Level 10

@Melodie-And-John0  You have identified a couple of interesting facts, just like you we are getting more first timers and they are using instant book. I cannot comment on distance because our relative close proximity to London always dictates that a number of guests will be from the capital. However we have recieved our first booking from Europe post covid lockdown today, I am very pleased with that because all of our foreign guests cancelled during the lockdown from all platforms (forty two bookings in total).

Be Safe and be Happy Shaun.