[FESTIVAL] A year with Airbnb

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

[FESTIVAL] A year with Airbnb

Screenshot 2022-08-30 at 12.57.39.png

Emilie_0-1661857125303.png

This article is part of the Community Center's Festival of Hospitality 2022 . The  original topic was posted in the French-speaking Community Center by @Tarek63, and we have translated it below.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One year as a Host on Airbnb already, and what an adventure!

How it all started

It all started when a friend told me one day about his holiday and how happy he was with his stay at a home. “Why don’t you rent out your house?” he asked me… so I started in March 2021.

I was looking forward to my first reservation, checking my listing’s views every day, and happy to see it grow day by day. Finally, my first guest booked and came to spend the whole month of Ramadan with us. He was our guest of honor and even shared our IFTAR (dinner).

First bookings & first lessons… every stay is unique!

The bookings that followed presented new challenges for me. For one of them, the guest who booked was not the one who arrived, but everything went smoothly, and he even left me some gifts upon departure. The next one didn’t communicate much, and even departed with my keys! Finally, Mr. Albert, with whom everything was going well, had the misfortune to stay with us during a great storm on La Marsa, which burned our entire electrical system. As misfortunes never come alone, it was also the holiday season and no qualified electrician was available... All these experiences have taught me a lot about becoming a better Host, finding solutions quickly, and dealing with all possible situations. 🙂

What I learned from it

After the first reservation in April 2021, my first review followed in November. The scores were a little disappointing, but good luck smiled on me, and the numbers came up. Here are some of my helpful tips regarding what guests appreciate the most: 

• For each reservation, I welcome my guest in person.
  • I’m trying to learn more about their needs, so I can help them and save them time.
  • I prepared a list of recommended local attractions for guests.
  • I introduce my guests to local Tunisian products: mechouia salad, shakshouka, harissa, olive oil, and of course, Tunisian pastry.

Screenshot 2022-08-30 at 12.12.30.png

Everyone appreciated these gestures, which makes me really happy, and finally allowed me to receive, on July 5, 2022, Superhost status!

After this first year full of lessons, encounters, and adventures, my dream and long-term goals are to immerse my guests in a typically Tunisian setting. It will take a lot of time and resources, but nothing is impossible with willpower and perseverance. 

And you, what is your long-term dream as a Host? 😃

Screenshot 2022-08-30 at 12.13.04.png Screenshot 2022-08-30 at 12.13.45.png

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

9 Replies 9
Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Emilie and @Tarek63 Congratulations on your first year. I feel that we learn a lot in the first year adapting and making changes as we go along. Keeping the good bits and taking out the bad.

Getting an emergency kit ready with torches, and a camp stove when the electricity goes out again.

My emergency is making sure we have enough gas bottles for the hot water and when it is getting close to be empty, showing the guests how to change the bottle over. or get them to ring rather than message and we can do it for them.

I think for an overseas tourist your home shows a Tunisian lifestyle with the room furniture and decorations, let alone the food samples. i am sure the Tunisian pastries go over very well with coffee or tea.

Keep it going with your style and you will be on a winner because a personel touch makes it a bit more homely.

Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Laurelle3 The first year of anything is always a big learning curve, couldn't agree more with you on that one!

The emergency kit is a great suggestion - the sort of thing you might not realise you need, until you're in a bit of a pickle. 😅 Did you get one preemptively yourself or now have one after running into some emergencies in your first year?

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Tarek63 Because our cottage is behind the main residence we have access to our camp gear which has emergency equipment. My husband has a lot of working knowledge (handyman) can resolve most issues and we have the contact numbers for the electrician and plumber on hand.

We also don't let the cottage without us staying here and let the guests know if we are going out for the day. Communicatton is good and gives a positive outcome.

Lisa6534
Level 2
Covington, KY

@Tarek63  - Congratulations on your first year! Your home is beautiful, and your kindness and care shines through. Cheers to your next fun and successful year. 🥂

@Laurelle3 -  I never thought to tell my guests when I was leaving the house for the day, or letting them now when I was back. I’m going to consider those extra messages to my guests. I’m not sure if they would be annoyed or in appreciation of the information. Thanks for sharing.

@Lisa6534 ,merci beaucoup pour votre encouragement

thank you very much for your encouragement

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Tarek63 Terrific you have celebrated your first year and survived it with much knowledge. Yes, its a learning for sure and I appreciate your honesty about the beginnings and how you have grown in hosting.

I thought the photos on the post were your place....but looking at your listing I see it is not the same....I do so love the amazing designs that are so very special on the post page. I especially like how you work to introduce and make sure your guests have a full Tunisian experience. That's great.

Thanks again and I hope all your future guests will be wonderful and shower you with all you wish for. Many blessings and happy hosting, Clara

Merci beaucoup @Clara116 pour votre gentillesse.

C est mon rêve que ma maison ressemblerai un jour aux photos,c est un projet à long terme

Thank you very much @Clara116 for your kindness.

It is my dream that my house will one day look like the pictures, it is a long term project

Bridget130
Level 10
Santa Margherita Ligure, Italy

@Tarek63 all my compliments for your achievements .....and it all looks so nice , the photos remind me of a fairy tale ,most beautifull .....I am sure you will have even more success ......and yes at the beginning its always difficult .... and mostly depends on luck ! and of course on the guest in itself ! There are some people that one cannot make content !  ciaoooooooo Bridget

Bridget

Un grand Merci @Bridget130 de la Tunisie, ça me fait chaud au cœur. 

Je vous souhaite une excellente soirée 

A big thank you all the way from Tunisia, it really warms my heart. 

I wish you a wonderful evening