[FESTIVAL] Growing Loofah Sponges in my Garden

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

[FESTIVAL] Growing Loofah Sponges in my Garden

Clara116_3-1650629357453.jpeg

Each day we have challenges before us all but hopefully we are learning of our footprint, the impact we have, and what that means on a large scale and also on a very small scale, in reference to our environment. 

Like many, I thought the world was so big, I'm just me and I can't really make a difference. But, seeing the impact, and learning from the professionals, I’ve learned that a whole lot of people, like me, can indeed make an impact with small positive changes to their lifestyles. 

Clara116_0-1650629357430.jpeg

David (my husband) is the organic gardener in the family and I'm the food manager,  cook, organizer, and loofah grower-lover. So, it was a natural fit for me to grow loofah sponges, which grow on a trellis/vine and not in the ocean, as I once thought. 

Clara116_2-1650629357467.jpeg

Loofah sponges are easy to use and great for a couple of things. They do away with the need to ever purchase cleaning sponges — I always grab for them instead of paper towels to wipe stuff up daily. They are the best cleaning helper I know of out there. They last about a year, you can wash and dry them out, or better yet, throw them in the dishwasher to thoroughly clean them for multiple reuse. I clean just about everything with them — my body, my face, our kitchen, the bathroom, dishes, and my Airbnb cottage. So, of course, I have different ones and sizes for different jobs. 

Clara116_1-1650629357468.jpeg

Many of our Airbnb guests read about the cottage, our lifestyle, and ask about our gardens — I love to show them around and share loofah seeds and sponges with them. Planting a small seed, I think, is the best gift I can give them, along with showing them that we don't always have to be the "throw away" everything, everytime generation. Often, we share veggies and flowers with guests and it has been such a lovely way of  bonding with and showing them that they can belong here too!

My small effort to make a tiny difference is with one small sponge at a time.

Clara116_4-1650629357474.jpeg

21 Replies 21

Love the idea of using it to scrub to almost anything! Thanks for sharing this @Clara116. I wonder if this is the same plant ( its young and green stage)  that we used to cook as soup with rice noodles?

Marissa107 in Estepona, Malaga Spain❤️
J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Clara116 

In addition to my previous post

That sponge in the most natural way to use itThat sponge in the most natural way to use it

Above, that sponge in the most natural way to use it here, in Brazil.

Bellow a different way to use it.

IMG_20220423_112517601.jpg

Another way that my wife use it to clean her body ( 2 pics)

IMG_20220423_112512055.jpg

Yes there are many ways to use the sponges for cleaning and the body! Thanks for posting and for your encouragement.

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Stephanie the garden this morning.....love the sweet birds...it's only partial but some of the veggies I had a big hand in this season. Tried to load a video? No success....

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Clara116 Thanks, I've uploaded it for you 🙂

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Awesome, @Clara116 . I just looked it up. I should start the seeds indoors, here in the north, in January if I want to see any success...

Next year!

@Lawrene0  that's great...hope you do that...it's such fun. I just direct seed mine...but I have also started some inside and then brought them out  last year and it didn't make any difference. Keep me posted. 

Best to you, hugs Clara