[FESTIVAL] The Community Center (CC): My Personal Journey

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

[FESTIVAL] The Community Center (CC): My Personal Journey

Prologue:

Initially, when tagged for this years Festival of Hospitality, I thought Garry and I contributed in 2019 and probably shouldn’t.

However, the more it popped into my head, the more I thought it was important to note that we are still here….. still feeling very lucky against the Covid19 pandemic difficulties experienced by everyone. 

We made our section of the 2019 video whilst in Ubud, Bali (Indonesia) on a short holiday. We were about to get ready to go for a long walk around the villages and rice fields, starting our preparation for walking the Portuguese Camino. Sadly, that 2020 dream, like many you may have had, didn’t eventuate …….

But as we are still standing, we have many reasons to still be very grateful.

———————————————————— So here it is: 

“The Community Centre / Center (CC): my personal journey.”

Cathie19_0-1629734835355.jpeg

Historically, it was some vague name, a tab on my Airbnb profile page, that meant absolutely nothing. I didn’t even find it till I had been hosting for two full years! That’s probably the thing I regret the most, for I could have found it sooner if its value had been promoted, rather than just two words among many….

But one day I decided to scroll to this unknown and click on it. Woah! I had no idea there was a place to go and chat, watch, listen and learn….

Initially I was intrigued by the different levels against a name, tag, or avatar. I couldn’t quite work out if super-hosts had levels? (Eye roll!)

Strangely, I actually remember when I stumbled on to it. Garry was away cycling in parts of southern Australia, and as I sat watching a pretty ordinary movie one evening, I was essentially just scrolling through the App and onto my Airbnb profile page. I had visited the Help/FAQ frequently asked question sites, but the CC was something different. Here were real people, discussing their real Airbnb issues.

They weren’t preaching or using the Airbnb marketing spiel, so for me, that gave it extra interest and credibility. They were ordinary people like me. Many very experienced and wise to the ways of STR or LTR. Two abbreviations at the time, which I had no clue what they meant! (For those new to the CC reading this: short term rental / long term rental)

Initially I just watched, “listened” and read…... I would read something and think “Gee, that’s a great idea!”

or 

“FAR OUT! I don’t want that to happen to me…..   😱 I better add THAT house rule or condition to my listing - now!”

…. and so my connection to the Community Center began. It began during the period of the turquoise logos and has continued to the present day of red/pink.

When the global time zones tended to cross over, (early morning and late evening) I would notice times when commenting, meant someone in another country might respond fairly quickly. The first time this exchange took place it felt really great to have that personal connection in real time. Humour with a consolidation of ideas and the start to many an amenable thread - friendships began.

I could name names from different countries, but that would not do justice to the diverse and many connections that were being made.

So as I became more confident to put forward an idea, I became more bonded to the site. I liked the way the moderators stayed in the background and essentially directed us, the traffic….. They were fair, friendly but firm, reminding us this was an official AIrbnb site only when  necessary. But they were also showing us they were real people…..

Regular individuals would show up. Each personality with special skills and knowledge. If I saw a particular question, I’d say to myself: “Leave that response to so and so, as they have far greater understanding and knowledge in that area; or I might tag them”.

Someone might just say “hello” from another country. I’d reply “hello from Oz.” Someone else might say “hello from London”!  Start to see a pattern? A connection?

During the very bleak beginnings of the pandemic in 2020, a separate page was created for specific Covid19 threads being created. I am very grateful for this, because with all the heaviness in the heart and mind, it was a relief to not have to be burdened by these posts, when not mentally prepared. Like minded “go to” areas began to be more visual, yet not divisive.

Early on with this pandemic, when hosting essentially was globally shut down, @Lizzie started the social catch up sessions on Zoom. Who would have guessed that from that first session, it developed into a wonderful expression of connectivity and some special Zoom friendships. I think the mental health and well being of those involved, improved.  I know mine certainly did! It didn’t matter who you were or where you lived, we were a bunch of hosts and occasional guests, seeking connections. Just like the traditional philosophy of Airbnb’s mission. It would take a very special group of people to get me out of bed before dawn, for those hospitable meetups! 

As I got to see the faces and voices to those I had been communicating with in the CC threads, it just added more colour, flavour, cultural understanding and personality to everything. We had some mad times, sad times, creative times and fun times… but more importantly connected times where we supported one another. Their was tolerance and respect and there still is…… (This still continues in all formats across the CC today)

After these face to face experiences, if I read something they wrote, I can see them saying it! So the CC has become very special.  Good times, tough times and as the roller coaster continues across 2021, I think I’ll stick around for the ride…. and I hope those who I have “met” and got to know a little, as well as those I’ve yet to meet, will stick around and share the knowledge, the laughter and the camaraderie. There are now other Zoom sessions for disseminating Airbnb information. There are those which are essentially workshops or brain storming sessions.

Community Center (Centre): creative connections - communal chats - camaraderie and questioning - challenges and choices - charters and critique  but also care and compliments.  It’s all these things…. 

It’s more than two words on a profile page…. It’s evolved and is now: “Visit Our Community Forum”. That statement would have got me here sooner so that’s an improvement for all newbies….

So let’s celebrate: if not here already, scroll and dare to meet others and listen, learn and laugh! We can cry together if that’s needed. We can assist to make improvements to the rental platform, using our voices here. We don’t have to shout, for persistence, ideas and respect wins many things and makes inroads and change, as is the constantly growing asset and value, of the Community Center (CC) “

23 Replies 23
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Aww such lovely words @Cathie19 !

I've really enjoyed our regular CC socials, seeing your watercolours, learning about Gary's breakfasts, and sharing a huge amount of laughs. 

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Glad you are safe and well and looking forward to our next catch up! Your humour is always appreciated as well as your smarts!! 💕

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

i-am-so-smart-s-m-r-t.jpeg@Cathie19 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

You are such an awesome person. So glad the community boards and the socials allowed us to meet you in person. Such a fun post!

Aww @Christine615, why thank you…. But DITTO! 
Hopefully “see you Friday”….. In the meantime, stay safe and keep up the good fight! X

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

Cathie thank you for information that I found written on the CC under @Cathie19 and she  was from "Downunder," knowing that the information that you parted with was related to my hemisphere and country. I also got to meet you on zoom with CC meet up.

Again your personal journey has highlighted the way you have travelled. Thanks for your wise words and wisdom. 

@Laurelle3 , 🎶🎵We come from the land down under🎵🎶.  ….. 🌏

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Cathie19 @Laurelle3 @Christine615 @Stephanie 

Such charming and wise words, Cathie.

I still remember your bit in the 2019 video, ADORABLE!

Thanks @Mike-And-Helen0  for your kind words. During my time here, I have watched and learnt from many - including you. Cheers!

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Cathie19  Really loved this.  Thank you for being there Down Under and for your wordplay on the CC.  We're worlds apart but because of this place, I move through my hosting journey with a far-flung network of friends like you.

@Ann72 , I’d be lost without you and the others…… x

75E4C774-0FC4-447C-8F4D-18726EC5FEBE.jpeg

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Cathie19  Hey friend, loved your story of the beginnings with CC. So happy to be among those on the zooms to get to visit, chat and share with you. You are the best! See you Friday ☺️

Catch you Friday! X

Loved reading your story @Cathie19 See you Friday~ ❤️