Father's Day comes around again.

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

Father's Day comes around again.

The first Sunday in September in Australia is traditionally Father's Day. The day when we dads get another pair of socks, some undies or another mug with 'Worlds Greatest Dad' scrolled across it!

Well, I have seen 51 of them now, but as I have aged they have become more precious to me.

And one of the main reasons is.....my Fathers Day card.......

Fathers day Card A.jpg

Father's Day Card B.jpg

Yeah looking a bit old, dated and 'doggy eared' around the edges!

But Ade bought that card in 1978 when our eldest daughter Sarah was 4 and was first learning to write! Now she is a Teacher teaching the next generation that same skill, and every year the card gets brought out of the dresser again and another year is added to it.......

Fathers Day Card C.jpg

That card and I have seen lots of life, and it has become one of my most treasured possessions. 

It will proudly sit in the kitchen today and tonight get put away in the dresser again for another year.

Happy Father's Day all Dads.

Cheers........Rob

14 Replies 14
Marisa182
Level 7
University Park, MD

@Robin4  Hi Rob, I love your story and wish you a very very Happy Father's Day! I'm wondering if you will celebrate with a delicious pavlova?

Cheers to you and all dads in Australia!

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Marisa182 

Ah you Gem Marisa, you remember Ade's pavlovas!. I haven't been treated to one recently. 

Having just spent a week away for my 80th we both brought back a dose of Covid so we are keeping a low profile for a week or so.

I have to say Covid has certainly lost it's bite, the current variant is just like a really mild cold. The only thing that really alerts me is that red line on the test strip!

All the best Marisa.

Cheers.......Rob

Of course I remember. You and Ade were so nice to send me the recipe, and I have made it twice since.

I got my very first Covid right around last Christmas, a terrible time to be sick. Hope you are both back to 100% good health so you can continue the BD celebration.

Best regards,

Marisa

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Robin4 I love it ❤️ . You have many cherished moments.

Elisa
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you @Robin4 for sharing this with the community. 😍

How did you spend your day? 

Warm regards,

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines //Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center
Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Elisa 

Fairly quietly I am afraid Elisa, as you know we just had time away with the family for my 80th and both Ade and I managed to bring Covid back with us......one of the joys of plane travel.

Covid has definitely lost it's sting, I would not even classify this as a mild cold, and even with Ade's compromised immune system with her MS, she is not experiencing any real difficulty coping with it.

We are doing the mandatory one week isolation  and have put off all engagements until later this week so Fathers Day was just a nice quiet affair.

Cheers.......Rob.

I’m sorry to hear about your COVID situation. I hope you recover very soon. 😞

I look forward to reading more amazing stories!

Warm regards,

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines //Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center

@Robin4. Rob, I love the recycled card idea and your story and belated Fathers Day greetings.

My poor husband spent Fathers Day helping me with a guest turnover and some minor outdoor repairs after a brief coffee catch with one child so tonight is our Fathers Day dinner with all the kids. Better late than never right? 😉

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Frances3408 

I do worry just a bit about that Fathers Day card Frances.

By making it public I am almost expecting Hallmark Greeting Cards to send around a posse of henchmen to locate, remove and destroy my card. 

They must be shuddering at the loss of business this would create if the public got wind of it and the idea caught on!!

Saturday was the day I tested positive to Covid so I managed to get one of those lovely Sundays unclutter by regular duties.....it was actually very nice!

I am back in training again Frances, I am running in the 'Huski'  next year so might get the opportunity to look up you and Laurelle.

Cheers........Rob.

@Robin4. Dont worry they got plenty of biz from me with my drawer full of brand new, never used cards. 😉 

Next year? Cant think that far ahead but yes if I can get through the rest of 2024 agenda including a family first wedding then we shall see said the blind wo(man) .

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Happy Father's Day @Robin4 😊 🎉

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Such a lovely momento @Robin4, I wish I had thought of this. My children enjoy spending time in the shops choosing a card that references bodily gases or some other 'bathroom' humour. 😅 

I read that you've been a little unwell and I hope that you've made a full recovery now, and of course, Happy Belated Father's Day! 😍

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Rebecca 

Thanks Bec, you mention children and bathroom humour.

I just had a birthday and I am not sure one of my grandies appreciated the significance of this card........

IMG20240906201933.jpg

IMG20240906202012.jpg

Oh, the innocence of kids!!

Definitely got rid on Covid Bec, Ade is still suffering a bit but she should come good in the next few days. 

Cheers........Rob.

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

That's a great card! 😂 

Sorry to hear that Ade is suffering. It just lingers sometimes doesn't it? Plenty of hot drinks and rest 🤗 

Sending you both lots of healing vibes from across the world! 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines