Feedback for Airbnb and their social and environmental responsibility

Amrita26
Level 2
Berlin, Germany

Feedback for Airbnb and their social and environmental responsibility

When large companies like Airbnb take on social and environmental responsibility, they can also benefit as a company.

Why I start this topic? Because I was writing with Airbnb about it and I like to share my opinion

By integrating sustainability into their business practices, companies can not only have a positive impact on the environment and society, but also improve their long-term competitiveness and reputation.

Now I want to show you, what I share with Airbnb today:

Hi Airbnb Team thanks for your fast reply! I want to comment something:

I would like to see companies like Airbnb try to incorporate a sustainable aspect by supporting non-profits and small businesses that focus on supporting local, marginalized groups or the environment. There are many opportunities for this. For example, it is possible to recruit new experiences and pause those that are similar so that others have a chance. I have seen a program that is about having someone on the ground in each area/country to give ideas and suggestions for "secret tips" and local experiences that are not overcrowded with tourists. This might be an idea for you to find new adventures or places to live. In the beginning of Airbnb I found Airbnb so attractive because it is not the "classic" hotel, but you can find authentic local places to stay. You don't find that so much anymore. But this only reflects my experience when traveling. Which is why I now prefer couchsurfing (maybe there are incentives for you too?!). Great feedback for you: I think the idea of emergency accommodation is great! Projects like this reflect our responsible future.

Here is something from my experience:
I worked for Company for a long time. They are also on Airbnb. They are very competitive with other smaller surf schools and activities and are constantly growing. As an international worker, I was treated better than local workers. It's a classic situation where a large company grows more and more with their presence and small businesses go bust and the local community can barely keep their heads above water and have to have at least 2-3 jobs or lose their land because the seaside is being built on with huge hotel resorts. There is currently a case in Imsouane (Morocco) where the local population is being displaced and houses are being destroyed. The government is at the forefront of building hotels at this popular surfing spot. I think large companies in particular should take responsibility due to their power and make their contribution by, for example, leaving a sustainable footprint as Airbnb and supporting the environment and maginalized people.

Tell me your opinion!

3 Replies 3
Sophia
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi there @Amrita26

thank you for taking the time out to write this feedback, it is really valuable to us. I can tell that sustainability and environmental responsibility is a cause close to your heart 💚.

I will pass on your thoughts and concerns to the relevant team. If would like to, you could also write your feedback on this form.

I'd like to invite some amazing hosts who are also passionate about sustainability to this discussion, hopefully they can share their thoughts with you! @Laurelle3@Kitty-and-Creek0 & @Kerilee1 😊

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Thanks for the invite. It would be my pleasure to chat about eco-friendly options and sustainability. 

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Amrita26 thank you for your information. @Sophia mentioned the subject.

Yes there is a change happening even in our own local area too. With homes being bought up and apartments replacing them on the beach foreshore.

All we can do as hosts is to keep adapt, adopt and promote  sustainability with our accommodation for our guests.