First bad guest: help with review?

Colleen469
Level 3
Cumming, GA

First bad guest: help with review?

Morning!

We are new hosts and I’d appreciate feedback from experienced hosts on how to review our first (mildly) challenging guest. We did receive notice that she has already written a review for us. We are currently 3/3 5 stars. 

-Guest booked one night with no reviews. 
-Requested a two hour late checkout which was approved (and I thought generous?).
-Guest booked for 2 guests but 5 came. Relevant in that housekeeper was not expecting to change five bed linens when she agreed to fast turnaround clean. Also, 20!! Towels were used for a one night stay. 

-House was left in a bit of a mess to include makeup smeared on white walls and bacon grease spilled in microwave. This also increased turnaround cleaning time. 
-Checkout instructions were not followed. Trash was in the yard, bathroom cans were not emptied, trash was not bagged which is a big problem for bears. 
-Home was left unlocked and unsecured. Guests appeared to use back door to avoid Ring doorbell and all doors were left unlocked with no communication that they had left. 

-Nice living room throw blanket is MIA. 
-Guest did send a private message saying we were “lovely hosts and they would be back.”

I would love input on how many stars you would leave and whether you would factually include any of the above in a public review or private? I would use a Shiny Boot Sandwich approach and say something positive first. (Very pleasant in communication perhaps.) Or, are these just part of the host experience and I should let it go? 

Also, I’m unclear on current policy for blocking guests. If I block her in messages will that still prevent her from future booking? Reporting her as offensive seems disproportionate but I’m unclear on most up to date policies. I would prefer not to host them again if I have that ability. 

TIA for your thoughts!

16 Replies 16

I am assuming that you sent thru an update for the extra guests when you saw them . 

Some people like to tell incoming gusts that if they only have two guests in a three or four bedroom house that possibly they would prefer to book a two or one bedder as they may not be aware that your home is a three or four bedder and if worried indicate that beds will not be made up in all rooms but ask if this is the actual guest count and to let you know if it changes or that you can assist them to find more suitable accomodation with a refund before they arrive. H

Helen is right:  these were definitely “incoming gusts” - with no “high wind” advisory. 😉  Block them for sure!