Good hosting matters and is rewarded!

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Good hosting matters and is rewarded!

Whether you think the Super Host matters or not, I’d like to just say: good hosting does matter and is rewarded!

I’ve always made an effort to provide what I might want or have been supplied whilst undertaking travels; for it makes travel easier and a bit more special.

We undertake seasonal STR only, with maybe three weeks our longest stay, with all stays having a minimum of three nights in our guest suite. It’s attached to our house, in fact a separate abode built underneath our personal home. Separate entrance and separate driveway.

Now here’s an important word in my life! “Personal.”

Every one likes to feel individual and special. So besides liking our own personal space to remain private, we also respect the same for our guests.

We operate on trying to tailor what we offer, to each booking guest’s needs.

Sometimes the communication is scant and that’s not so easy, but we can only try. But something must be working in our favour…

In October we were published and named as one of the 12 finalists in Australia’s Airbnb Host of the Year 2022 awards.

We aren’t fancy, nor is our Homestay space a five or six star expensively presented space. It’s a run of the mill Airbnb home, which we share with others. Yes, we make big efforts for our space and gardens to be very clean, pleasing and most of all, functional. We have what we have and make it the best we can within our budget and philosophy.

We provide conversations and information if that’s what you like or need. We recommend only when asked and are mindful of varying budgets and cohorts. I use my Workplace Health and Safety background to check details or to also not supply items within the Airbnb space or shared spaces.

But mostly, we are friendly, discreet when in the shared spaces but always, always, never in your face, nor would want to be…

So cheers to all of you who try hard to make a space loved, functional and pleasing. Cheers to hosts that care! 🌻

EE2AC2A7-7921-40FD-841F-0DAA99A58B45.jpeg

28 Replies 28
Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

For any cynics out there, we didn’t nominate ourselves for this honour, it happened systematically. 😁🌻🌻

@Cathie19 Congratulations, I think your contribution to the CC forum may have helped. Also your progress of your art that we see on CC forum Zoom meetings. But, I have to say that you have helped many with your positive advice. So I say thank you from a further Downunder than you and obviously you are a Super-Super Host.

Thanks @Laurelle3 for your kind words. Currently I think we are further south than you my Oz host friend. 

We crossed from NSW into Victoria today, feeling very somber looking at where the bushfires went through almost 3 years ago. Quite over why really. 

Feeling the cold as well with the La Niña coolness. And rains. We’ve dodged rain bands and flooded rivers and plains since leaving Darwin  1st October. 

With a bit of luck we might find time for a coffee with Ade and Robin when we return to Adelaide later this month! @Robin4 

Congrats, @Cathie19 ! 👏

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Whoa, that's amazing @Cathie19!  🤩 Congratulations 🎉🎉🎉

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Deb216
Level 10
Newport, RI

@Cathie19   Congratulations!  I agree with everything you mention.  Your positive attitude is contagious.  Wishing you continued success!  Cheers!

@Quincy  You know that since the redesign we can no longer link to the poster's listing through their profile, yes?  Or if there is a way, I can't figure it out.  When I click on @Cathie19 profile it only shows me posts at the CC, but does not link back to the Airbnb profile, where the listing is.  Weird.  

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Mark116, we are aware of that. This is something that will come back, so please bear with us whilst we work on that in the background 🙂

-----

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Quincy  @Stephanie said a deliberate decision was made by your company/Airbnb to remove the links because 'many' hosts had complained of 'snooping' ie they didn't like people on this community seeing their listing.

It does seem a completely counter-intuitive move.

1. I have been a regular for years and haven't seen many ie the majority on this community complaining about this.

2. Most importantly it limits our ability of regular hosts to check listing profile so we can help those with queries and complaints. For example

1. location matters when providing advice re short term rental regulations and other country/area specific issues
  2. we can't see listing details so can't advise on how to improve them
  3. if a host has issues with their ratings we can't see them 
  4. we can't advise hosts struggling with queries relating to the SH status

Please can you reinstate our ability to help our fellow hosts and guests.

If those posting here don't want people to see their listings (you have to wonder why) - then as I suggested on other posts give them the option to opt out so their listings can't be seen

@Quincy & @Stephanie, I tend to agree with you @Helen3. What is the point of trying to help and advise if no one can see it? After all, we use to for years and placed the spotlight on hosts and their rentals…

My other counter argument would be that it is published openly on the web so everyone can see it. Why no longer here on this platform, where it is amongst a smaller interacting more individualised community, trying to assist and advise.

If I’m so concerned about my privacy to the enth degree, then I wouldn’t be using it for a rental.  If there are any trolls or nuisance interaction, we can report.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Helen3 @Cathie19, thank you both for your feedback here. I know that this is a very important feature, indeed. Especially, for the reasons you've mentioned @Helen3

With that said, at the moment there's still some work going on in the background, so I can't give an exact timeline as to when this will be back again. However, I will update you here once I've got more info on this 🙂

-----

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Well done @Cathie19 .  I am sure it is well deserved and we will be rooting for you!

Glad also to see that a humble homestay has made the list.

Thanks @Huma0. We didn’t win but to be in the final count was pretty special. 🌻

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Cathie19 

Yes, it's still an amazing achievement. I hope you had a chance to celebrate!