Gross Earnings - Does it include taxes guests paid?

Karen729
Level 1
Gatlinburg, TN

Gross Earnings - Does it include taxes guests paid?

I REALLY NEED HELP ASAP as I am preparing my IRS taxes.  I've called Airbnb several times asking what Gross Earnings includes.  Twice I was told it only includes my nightly rate + cleaning fees, and that it does not include taxes that the guests pay.  That is what I see when I add up the columns on my transaction history.  My accountant believes Gross Earnings includes the taxes the guests are charged (which Airbnb sends to the state for us).  I just called Airbnb again; this rep agrees with my accountant.  

Which is it?  Does our Gross Earnings include the taxes the guests pay - yes or no?   I would also greatly appreciate you sending me documentation from their website which clearly explains this.  I've read several pages on their website, and so far none are clear on this issue.  

Thanks!

1 Reply 1
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Karen729 

You need to download the CSV file from Transaction History. After loading it into a spreadsheet you can see all details.

The help file mentions:

How to check occupancy tax totals

You can find collected occupancy taxes listed in the gross earnings section of the transaction history on host accounts. All guest receipts include occupancy taxes as a separate line item.

How-does-occupancy-tax-collection-and-remittance-by-airbnb-work