Guest arrived, left 40 min later and never came back

Answered!
Lia19424
Level 1
San Antonio, TX

Guest arrived, left 40 min later and never came back

Guests arrived @ 3:25 per my video doorbell and door lock system. They left at 4:05 with their bags in tow and never came back. They responded to my automated email asking how their stay was on the last day and they stated it was a beautiful home and they really enjoyed it. When we arrived after their checkout time, the home was staged as if someone had stayed in it, beds were unmade although sheets were still tucked in, throw pillows were moved around along with throw blankets, no trash in the trash cans, no towels used besides two rags, and they took the coffee. We checked our system thoroughly and they definitely never came back. They left an immediate review but my concern is they didn't like it and left? If so, I don't think think it would be a relevant review since they just acted like they stayed there. It was an odd experience and I was wondering if I should mention it in my review or just disregard it? I am a newer host so I just wanted to get some other opinions or see if this has happened to anyone. Thanks in advance for any advice. 

1 Best Answer
Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Lia19424 

Certainly odd, but not alarming. I am a homeshare host and on at least 2 occasions I'm pretty sure I was booked simply as a backup plan. ie, They were coming to town to meet someone and if things didn't go well, they would need my place to stay. In one case, the woman checked in and left an hour later never to return. The other woman checked in, left shortly after and then came back in the morning to shower.

And on another occasion, I had a woman who lived about an hour away who literally just checked in to shower after going to the beach and then drove home. She left me a glowing review!

Who knows? As long as nothing was missing or broken, I wouldn't worry about it!

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Lia19424 

Certainly odd, but not alarming. I am a homeshare host and on at least 2 occasions I'm pretty sure I was booked simply as a backup plan. ie, They were coming to town to meet someone and if things didn't go well, they would need my place to stay. In one case, the woman checked in and left an hour later never to return. The other woman checked in, left shortly after and then came back in the morning to shower.

And on another occasion, I had a woman who lived about an hour away who literally just checked in to shower after going to the beach and then drove home. She left me a glowing review!

Who knows? As long as nothing was missing or broken, I wouldn't worry about it!

Sharon683
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Don't worry about it. Did they leave a 5 star review? If yes then you are good.  Less clean up and no hassle.  Prepare for the next guest and move on. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Lia19424 leave a review and find out what theirs says. I wouldn't mention it in the review as it suggests you were spying on them.

Good advice. Thanks Mike and Jane. 

Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

Hi @Lia19424 , did you leave a review in the meantime and check their review?

I went through the past guest reviews: Some were not happy with the neighbourhood.  Perhaps your guests had the same concern, realizing the situation after they have arrived, and deciding to leave ASAP?