Guest does not respect the cancellation policy for long term stay

Marie7581
Level 2
Prague, Czechia

Guest does not respect the cancellation policy for long term stay

Hello hosts,

I would like to share a negative experience -  a guest who does not respect the cancellation policy for long stays and threatens me.

He booked a stay for 5 months, he saw the flat in advance (my flat is located on the upper floor of a family house and my mother lives downstairs, he also met my mum during this visit in advance ). On the day of arrival, he moved his furniture to my apartment and wanted to move out some of my belongings WITHOUT prior agreement !!! My mother was present at the move, begged him to be careful, had things in the hallway, and was afraid of damage - he complained that she had comments and observed him. If the guest had a problem at that moment, he should have called and solved the problem with me as a host. I found out about moving furniture in the evening, I wanted to call the next day. In the morning following day, he called that he wants to leave.His statement was that he could not be there with my mother downstairs, because she went to talk to his wife and did not talk to them in advance, allegedly insulted his wife etc. (but he knew that my mum is living in the house permanently).

Airbnb sent me payment after cancellation based on cancellation policy for long term stays. He asked for a full refund via the helpline, which I refused. The case was closed. After this he wrote me a threatening message that he is going to hire a lawyer, threatened by the control of the tax office and court. Now I have a pre-litigation call. I'm dealing with a lawyer.

My question is: may guests move their own furniture into my apartment and move something out of it without prior agreement? I think I am clearly right that he should have agreed this in advance. Furthermore, do you have any experience that the guest did not respect the cancellation policy and continued to demand payment of the full refund and wants to go to court?
I'm absolutely disgusted with the situation. I went out of his way to help him in everything, I can prove by our communication.

Thank you very much for your answers.

2 Replies 2
M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Marie7581 

No one here has the legal licensing to answer your question.  That is something you lawyer should be investigating.

Also, Airbnb is not the site to use for long term rentals, it is geared to short term rentals.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Marie7581 

The reservation has the "long term stay" policy attached. This was accepted by the guest at time of booking. It means next 30 nights after cancellation date are not refunded if the reservation is cancelled. On airbnb people book furnished accommodation. If a guest wants to change the furniture, they need to contact the host. No laywer needed by guest or host, as all terms and conditions are clear.