Guest from China and Corona virus

Answered!

Guest from China and Corona virus

Hi can anyone help please. I received a booking from China yesterday for a stay at my place next week. With the news about the Chinese Corona virus: How worried should I be?

1 Best Answer
Anh-and-David0
Level 3
New York, United States

I decided to cancel my guest's reservation even though she's supposed to check in today.  I had to call AB&B to process the cancellation due to the short notice.  AB&B mentioned they're getting a lot of calls about the outbreak, and were willing to cancel the reservation penalty-free for both me and the guest.

The guest is getting all their money back and I am not being penalized as host.  I feel badly to inconvenience them, but frankly it's just not worth the risk to my family.  I did some research and sent her suggestions for alternative lodging close by and at similar cost.  Hopefully it won't ruin their trip.

Good luck to the rest of you, hopefully the outbreak gets controlled quickly.

99 Replies 99
John2563
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

I have the same concerns and need help on how to manage this in a professional and positive way? I will soon be hosting 2 guests visiting a student in the UK from China and would like to know how I deal with this concern.

Melora1
Level 2
Deltona, FL

I also just booked a family for the 1st week of Feb.  However, I am concerned as well.  Anyone know how guests from the region are being vetted as they travel internationally?   I guess we just need to read up as much as we can and be prepared.  I'll keep you posted what I find out!

John2563
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

I have read in the independent that the UK have no security in place to vat people comming from China. I have taken it upon myself to ask the student that has booked this for her mother and friend to supply information relating to the region of China they are comming from and if they are in full health prior to arriving in the UK. 

Many thanks! I will ask my expected guest to supply information about their health checks. I expect two guests from China arriving on Friday. My Chinese friend informed me the following “It is spreading very quickly. In China, the cases have been identified in more than 10 provinces and the total gas reached 449 cases with 9 deaths, this morning. Also found in the USA, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Hongkang etc southeastern Asian countries. Things will continuously get worse before it turns better, I think.”

Since this morning he later wrote: “Actually, it has been identified in 23 Chinese provinces” 😳

I do not want to come forward as discriminating my guests and abruptly cancel their booking without any solid grounds except my health concerns.

I just know that the Corona virus is being compared to SARS and Ebola. And I remember that Ebola (and sars) spread to several countries even as far as Greenland/the Arctic where I am.

I am still awaiting response from Airbnb help center on my concerns.

Well VERY good luck with your wait.........................................

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@John2563 

re: 'the student that has booked this for her mother and friend':

If you don't feel comfortable with this situation, you can anyway cancel this booking due to violation of 3rd Party Booking rule.

Indeed, you don't seem aware of it!  And if you knowingly accept a 3rd Party Booking, Airbnb won't uphold any complaints or claims you might have.

Olga6
Level 5
London, United Kingdom

@Annie-Busk0 @Alon1 

The incubation seems to be 2 weeks.

This means that they can arrive in full health but still be infected. 

I have a surge of guests from China, none of them have region or city stated,  just "China".

I wouldn't mind cancelling some even with loss of income and penalties but the loss of status of a super host would affect me long term.

The airport measures are pathetic but having actually guests in from pandemic affected areas at ones home sounds insane. I really don't know how to go about this. 

Sensitive individuals, say suffering asthma, would certainly die from respiratory infection this severe. 

This is a very serious issue. 

I had a guest from China book to stay for tomorrow and a few nights. I called Airbnb and they canceled without penalty to my superhost status. The guest didn’t reply to my inquiries which made me not feel good about our family’s safety. Call support and you will be ok. 

Anh-and-David0
Level 3
New York, United States

Hi All -

I have a group checking in today from Shanghai, China.  I just sent her the below email to ask a few questions about their health status and risk factors.  I'll post it as a guide here in case it helps.  The key questions came from my review of the CDC site and guidance about precautions and risks.  I haven't gotten a response from her yet and don't want to be alarmist, but have considered cancelling her reservation out of an abundance of caution.  Wondering what this group's thoughts are about the matter or if anyone has been in touch with AB&B to get guidance.

thanks,

Dave

Email to my guest is below:

"Hi XXXXXX- 

I’m reaching out in light of recent news about the outbreak of coronavirus originating in Wuhan, China. I understand you live in Shanghai but would like to take extra precautions given the chance of contact with infected persons during your travel and elevated risk.

With that in mind I’d like to ask a few questions please:
Is anyone in your travel party exhibiting symptoms of illness (e.g., fever, cough, or difficulty breathing)?
Has anyone in your party traveled to Wuhan since December 2019 or been in contact with sick people, animals, or animal markets recently?
Are you travelling with older adults that have underlying health conditions?

We want to be prepared to help you during your stay if needed and also limit the potential for spreading illness in our house and community. We have young children and some of our family members have respiratory sensitivities (i.e., allergy & asthma) so need to take appropriate precautions.

Thanks for sharing responses and I hope you understand our intent is to keep everyone healthy."

Hi Anh & David,

Many thanks for your comment! It is very helpful in guiding me to handle my concerns in a polite way without sounding alarmish. I’ve already sent a polite message to my upcoming guests and still await their reply. I will use your guidelines as a template if I don’t hear from them. I don’t want to seem over-alert but I just remember how previous viruses affected my country of residence even though we were (are) on the other side of the globe during the break outs at that time. My concerns are whether or not to worry and how to safeguard my concerns. 

I just received below response from Airbnb support center which doesn’t really guide or help me in how to approach and handle my concerns towards the guests I’m expecting in a few days: 

———- QUOTE ————

Airbnb Support
Airbnb Support09:39
Hi Annie,

Thanks for reaching out to us regarding this issue. I've forwarded your inquiry to a member of my team who can better assist you. They'll be getting in touch with you soon.

In the meantime, please feel free to respond to this message with any further questions or concerns.

Best regards,
Airbnb Support
Airbnb Support13:10
Hi Annie,

My name is Von, one of the case managers from the Airbnb Trip Experience Team. I hope you're doing just fine. Regarding your concern let me help you with that.

Before processing, I'd like to thank you for reaching out to us sharing your concerns. As a fast pace growing community, we aren't always as prompt into getting a hold of these issues as we would like to

I completely understand that you wanted to secure your Safety and Health. But, just to let you know about this kind of issue before the persons who have an entire to our country.

Countries in Asia and elsewhere are checking the body temperatures of arriving airline passengers and adopting precautionary quarantine procedures in response to a new coronavirus that has sickened nearly 300 people in China.

I will gladly wait for your reply because my goal is to fully resolve your concern/s timely.

———- END OF QUOTE ———-
Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

The temperature scanning at the airport is essentially useless.  There have now been two fatalities reported in victims who were afebrile and it's possible for an infected person to be asymptomatic and still contagious.  

I have a chinese family from Beijing staying with me now and have dealt with them as I normally would.  However, as from now I'll be doubly careful about washing my hands immediately after shaking hands with guests (I do anyway), wash my hands frequently during the changeover and wipe down hard surfaces with a methylated spirits.  That should be more than enough.  Unless you actually get coughed on or have skin contact with someone who's wiped their dripping nose with their hand, it's not a huge threat.

Well done @Anh-and-David0 , both showing professionalism and caring....

I had a guest from China book to stay for tomorrow and a few nights. I called Airbnb and they canceled without penalty to my superhost status. The guest didn’t reply to my inquiries which made me not feel good about our family’s safety. Call support and you will be ok.