Guest from China and Corona virus

Answered!

Guest from China and Corona virus

Hi can anyone help please. I received a booking from China yesterday for a stay at my place next week. With the news about the Chinese Corona virus: How worried should I be?

1 Best Answer
Anh-and-David0
Level 3
New York, United States

I decided to cancel my guest's reservation even though she's supposed to check in today.  I had to call AB&B to process the cancellation due to the short notice.  AB&B mentioned they're getting a lot of calls about the outbreak, and were willing to cancel the reservation penalty-free for both me and the guest.

The guest is getting all their money back and I am not being penalized as host.  I feel badly to inconvenience them, but frankly it's just not worth the risk to my family.  I did some research and sent her suggestions for alternative lodging close by and at similar cost.  Hopefully it won't ruin their trip.

Good luck to the rest of you, hopefully the outbreak gets controlled quickly.

99 Replies 99

You should be able to get full refund. You need to contact customer support about this. I am a host and just cancelled a short-notice reservation of a guest from China. Well, I panicked there a bit but it's good to be vigilant. Airbnb gladly cancelled it for me without penalty. Glad you are vigilant too!

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

hello @Garry97 , how did you get on?

Did you stay home? Or travel?

From across the miles in Auckland, New Zealand

Tina6437
Level 2
Melbourne, AU

I’ve had 8 Chinese groups over the last 8 nights 49 Chinese guests  in total. Last group in tonight  just figured we’d be careful and have been cleaning with gloves. Have no idea what region of China they are all from. We are middle aged with good immune systems and not in China so fingers crossed the next few weeks pass without sniffles or fever!

@Tina6437    Symptoms of novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) are lower respiratory. Coughing,  shortness of breath, fever.   Incubation period has been published as being anywhere between 2 and 14 days.  In Chicago, human-to-human transfer appears to be around 14 days for incubation, and occurs between people having close contact after symptoms arise.  Although 2 cases isn't really definitive. 

Meanwhile, cleaning with gloves is a good idea.  I wash my gloved hands with soap and water, then take off the gloves and wash my hands with soap and water.

I let the gloves dry well before using them again. I also keep a supply of disposable gloves.  I have to tie my hair up well so I don't have it falling in my face while I clean. You don't want to touch your face before washing hands. 

Good luck !

Wow! Goodluck!  🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼

After reading these threads today I contacted the Corona Virus Hotline for our state and spoke to them about any exposure risk due to cleaning after my guests, and they advised that unless any of the guests arrived from the affected region (I wouldn’t know), displayed symptoms fever, coughing, runny nose etc (none did) AND you had direct contact with them ie. around them when they are coughing, blowing nose etc. (I wasn’t and didn’t notice anyone doing this) then it is unlikely I would be infected.  Has put my mind at ease somewhat.  Such horrible timing with many Chinese travelling for lunar new year.  I don’t normally have such an influx of back to back chinese guests. Anyhow house is empty and everything has had a final clean with hospital grade disinfectant bought from the pharmacy as a precaution. If you are concerned do what I did and call your state healthcare hotline for the Corona virus.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

hello @Tina6437  across the ocean from Auckland, New Zealand

Have you been tested to see if you have Corona virus/ Covid19?

Or been in self isolation since?

Have you heard from or contacted any of your guests since to see if they have this unsolicited disease that is disrupting our personal safety?

I hope you and your family and those you have been in contact are well.

All the best

Carol302
Level 7
Winchcombe, GB

Well the situation will certainly get WORSE before it gets BETTER. I'm glad you got this sorted BUT your problem was quite a simple one, ie your guests were travelling from China. This virus is now found in many countries, more daily, so travelling from China is no longer a reliable test as folks are liable to be picking it up from elsewhere. I have asked Airbnb what their advice is.................. no answer. They say I can do doorstep temperature monitoring and they will find a guest alternative accommodation. Serious? What both of them if only one has a raised temp? Surely they mean 'direct them to healthcare' rather than just find a host who is not so vigilant????????

Diona1
Level 2
Browns Plains, AU

I received reservation an hour ago for check in TODAY and I panicked. I really didn't want to discriminate anyone who wanted to stay at my place. After reading this thread, I  called Airbnb up to cancel and they gladly did so without penalty. 

Randa332
Level 1
Gothenburg, SE

I also had 6 guests coming from China (no city  stated) to Sweden the 2nd of Feb and rented my appartment for 1 day. 

I have contacted the guest both messages and privately via their phone, no answer (24h after)

So I contacted airbnb and explained the situation and I am worried about my family's health, they understood and were super helpful and they cancelled the reservation with no penalties  (cancelled 48h before arrival)

I strongly advice that you contact airbnb and explain, this is better than speculating or taking a risk.

Good luck everyone!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello everyone,

An update on the coronavirus and Airbnb's extenuating circumstances policy has just been shared in the Community Center's Help board, here is the direct link: Coronavirus outbreak: Information on Airbnb's extenuating circumstances policy coverage

I hope you find this update useful. 

Thank you,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Thanks @Lizzie @Tina6437 @Annie-Busk0 @Diona1 @Randa332  and everyone else for your contributions.

I'm appalled our Universities and schools that happily take funds from International students have not fulfilled there legal Duty of Care,  Pastoral Code of Conduct in the Education sector to provide short term accommodation in there many complexes they own here in Auckand, New Zealand.

They could easily put the Chinese and other people who may have been exposed to it on the same floor until the 14 day Quarantine period is over.

These complexes seem to sit fairly empty  at the best of times and it's senseless they are not taking in those who either have, or may have Coronavirus. 

They have been quick to tell students to find alternative accommodation for "2 weeks Quarantine" in private residences and fail to comprehend or acknowledge those who are expected to open their doors  and the potential they may be exposed to Coronavirus because of there roles.

Whilst I've had several enquiries, most indicate they are for up to 2 weeks so clearly under Quarantine restrictions.

Like all things, there are potential Guests who one can detect are deliberately misleading their need for accommodation, a dead give away is the maximum 14 day enquiry period,   & others are genuinely distressed at been thrown into a homeless situation they have no direct involvement in the cause of.

No one should live in isolation, nor be homeless.

One has to question some people in high places ethics, especially universities where Medicine and Science and Humanities are taught.

Do unto others as one would like done to oneself.

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Leave a day of prep time after they check out. That way you can wait 3 hours for any airborne Corona viruses to die, then you can air out the room for a couple more hours, then start your cleaning.

just had a family from Beijing leave on Monday (they flew into LA on Jan. 15th - claim to have no sypmtoms - I did not meet them) and was wondering what the best cleaning protocol would be?  This is helpful, thank you~ I am going in this afternoon to deep clean - have guests arriving tomorrow.  

Is basic washing of linen ok?  I'm using hot water and bleach - will that help?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

There's lot of official advice about this online  @Melora1 ....such as

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/prevention-treatment.html