Guest lost his Laptop, host pretend not to be aware on anything

Answered!

Guest lost his Laptop, host pretend not to be aware on anything

Hello,

Is there any possibility to raise a claim to airbnb if I lost my Laptop during my stay.

Of course the Laptop was inside the host apartment. I left at around 10:00 AM to go meet a friend and spend the day with him.

When returning to the host apartment around 17:00 AM I noticed that my Laptop is missing !!!

What to do in this case.

Thanks in advance for any guidance

1 Best Answer

@Oxana229  You might ultimately have to file a claim on your private travel insurance, which in most cases requires a police report. (Airbnb does not insure guests for their personal effects) Before getting police involved, some questions come to mind:

1)  Is this a shared home with an onsite host and/or other guests, or an Entire Home listing? 

2)  Was there any evidence of breaking and entering in the room where you stored the laptop?

3)  Was anyone else (e.g. a cleaner or repair worker) scheduled to enter the home on this day?

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6

@Oxana229  You might ultimately have to file a claim on your private travel insurance, which in most cases requires a police report. (Airbnb does not insure guests for their personal effects) Before getting police involved, some questions come to mind:

1)  Is this a shared home with an onsite host and/or other guests, or an Entire Home listing? 

2)  Was there any evidence of breaking and entering in the room where you stored the laptop?

3)  Was anyone else (e.g. a cleaner or repair worker) scheduled to enter the home on this day?

Thank you a lot for your reply.

Indeed, it is a shared house..  I had 1 room amongst 3.

I will definitely start immediately by filing a police report.

Thank you for those details.

Bob297
Level 10
Bilthoven, Netherlands

@Oxana229 @Anonymous 
It happened to me in Ecuador. I rented a whole house (actually it was a home exchange).
Apparently one of the staff members helped her boyfriend to enter the home.
My laptop was gone and the dog of the owners was stolen too.
The police report helped me file a claim with my travel insurance.
Since then I use a cable to attach my laptop to something immovable

Hello Bob,

Thank you for sharing the details.

I would love to have an idea (a photo or a URL) of this specific type of cable.

So maybe I will search to find one !

👍

Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

Look for a Kensington cable lock. But it requires a suitable laptop which supports this.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Oxana229  In the future, if you are going to book places where you are sharing the home with other guests, before you book, you should make sure that the private rooms have locks on the outside of the door so no one can enter your room except the cleaner or the host. That way, if anything goes missing, the possibilities of who might have done that is greatly reduced.

If you are only sharing a home with the host, it would be pointless to have a lock on the outside of your door, unless it was an exterior door, as the host would always have a key anyway in case of emergency. And a host wouldn't be able to stay in business if they stole from their guests, so that's an unlikely scenario.