Guests that wont leave my property in Amman.

Answered!
Mirna73
Level 2
Amman, Jordan

Guests that wont leave my property in Amman.

Hello Everyone, 

I have this guest who is coming to my home and hem has one review that mentioned he didn’t leave the property when asked to. And canceled last min. Did anyone experiance a guest not willing to leave on time? 

1 Best Answer
Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Mirna73@Patricia2526 has offered an opportunity to find out more. I’ve used this approach and it has worked well in both instances. But it’s totally something you have to feel comfortable with pursuing.

One, the guest explained and it all seemed fine and they were a pleasure to host.

The second time, the guest explained their side of the story and booked. They were gushing with detail. Later they contacted me and felt outraged that I had asked. They felt interrogated… and cancelled.

hmmmm…. Uh no!  So that also was a VERY big win. I felt happy as I dodged a metaphorical bullet from a very angst and probably a very high maintenance individual.

But in all sincerity: document in your Airbnb messages:

- stipulate check out time is firm, not flexible.

- if checkout is arranged and agreed to for a later time, this is also firm

- if a much later checkout is wanted a fee will be charged.

- that check out time is firm.

State Airbnb will be contacted if checkout time is overdue, and a penalty fee will be charged. Seek Airbnb helpline for the penalty.

PLUS, if you have back to back bookings and can’t afford any flexibility for cleaning and turnover, then don’t accept the booking, let the time run down.

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Patricia2526
Level 10
Manila, Philippines

Hello @Mirna73 

How are you?  While it can be tempting to dismiss a guest based solely on a negative review, it’s important to consider few factors to make a decision.  I always initiate conversation about their previous stay, politely ask for their perspective on the negative review and give them opportunity to explain their side of the story. It can provide insights  and help you gauge their willingness to address any past issues.

if they take responsibility for their actions and show a sincere desire to make amends, it may be worth considering to give them a “second chance”.

if you decide to give it a go, clearly communicate your expectations for their future stay and discuss any specific concerns or issues that need to be addresses, and ensure they understand the importance of adhering to your house rules and respecting your property. 

Remember, everyone can make mistakes, and sometimes people deserve a second chance. 

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Mirna73@Patricia2526 has offered an opportunity to find out more. I’ve used this approach and it has worked well in both instances. But it’s totally something you have to feel comfortable with pursuing.

One, the guest explained and it all seemed fine and they were a pleasure to host.

The second time, the guest explained their side of the story and booked. They were gushing with detail. Later they contacted me and felt outraged that I had asked. They felt interrogated… and cancelled.

hmmmm…. Uh no!  So that also was a VERY big win. I felt happy as I dodged a metaphorical bullet from a very angst and probably a very high maintenance individual.

But in all sincerity: document in your Airbnb messages:

- stipulate check out time is firm, not flexible.

- if checkout is arranged and agreed to for a later time, this is also firm

- if a much later checkout is wanted a fee will be charged.

- that check out time is firm.

State Airbnb will be contacted if checkout time is overdue, and a penalty fee will be charged. Seek Airbnb helpline for the penalty.

PLUS, if you have back to back bookings and can’t afford any flexibility for cleaning and turnover, then don’t accept the booking, let the time run down.

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Mirna73 If the review says that they were a problem leaving then believe it...It has not been my experience that asking guests about such a review ever works out very well . The only thing you can really do is make sure ,by asking, that they have read all of your rules and maybe print out a small list ,if you have not already done so ,of different things including check out times .Send a message to the guest the evening departure  to say 'just a reminder , checkout is 10 am , someone will be down at that time . Safe travels and Thank you for staying with us . We hope your stay has been good. Remember to check for all of your belongings and pull the door closed as you leave Thanks again "or something similar. Also put in with your rules that the checkout time cannot be extended except   through personal arrangement with the host and  only if available . This over communication can seem like overkill but serves a purpose. You can remain friendly at all times but get your message across... If asked for an extension simply say 'Its not available today as we have another guest arriving'...assuming that is happening otherwise another hour if arranged is generally okay but some people seem to simply not understand at all.The times when guests are arriving and leaving can be the most difficult so establishing open communication early is super important... H

Agreed! But he had only two stays and two reviews, most recent one says they were good guests and the pervious one says won’t leave property! 

but you do have a point! Im currently host the guy! Hopefully everything works as planned . But thank you for taking the time to reply 🙂 

@Mirna73. I recently had a guest (another local host) who wasnt big on communication. I did my usual night before and morning of check out reminders as well as cheery messages in between. No response from them during stay until I got a call at 11.01am check out morning stating they had left something behind and code no longer worked to get in. So I extended time by 30 minutes. They came out with their entire luggage! Sometimes it helps to have a back up. 😉

Did the guest previously overstay by a short time or much longer? You can always try and message that host (if still listed) and ask for a bit more info on guest's stay, if concerned.

You have very generous check in and check out times. But if you are relying on same day cleaning turn around I would have an earlier check out time. You can always offer a later check out time at your discretion during stay- can make you look generous and relaxes guests. But we have mostly vacationers, not workers staying so do what suits you.

Thank you! I should properly invest in a smart lock!  The problem is I manage my property remotely I like in the US and my property is in Jordan so  I rely heavily on the people back home ! But thank you I’ll add these points to my checking list 

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Mirna73 , 

Hope you are doing safe!

Since it has been a while you posted, I just wanted to ensure if you were facing any issues due to this guest or accepted their reservation?

In case you need any help or advise, do keep us posted!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

A-A8294
Level 2
Amman, Jordan

Hi, call 911 and he/she will leave. 
that’s crazy