Has hosting changed the way you use Airbnb for travel?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Has hosting changed the way you use Airbnb for travel?

I used to use Airbnb more readily for travel before I became a host. Now I am almost paranoid! I have even had hosts reject my husband because they are leery of hosting fellow hosts. I am honestly uncomfortable booking as a host.  So I now book only through VRBO as my place is not listed there, or find a hotel when I travel.

Is it just me? Has hosting had any impact on how you use ABB as a guest?

5 Replies 5
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

@Laura2592  Being a host has changed my attitude towards being a guest, because I have more understanding of both the host and guest sides.

I have to admit that I “compare” when I go to any type of accommodation now, whereas I never did before, because I didn’t have any grounds for comparison. This is only natural.

However, by the same token, I strive to reward a good host in my review. Any “advice” I want to give a host, I will give in private, except in really egregious situations in which I feel that warning guests is warranted. Luckily, I haven’t encountered anything egregious.

Unfortunately, I’ve seen other hosts-as-guests who seem to want to demonstrate empowerment by lording their alleged expertise over other hosts publicly. That would explain the reticence of some hosts to book other hosts. Not much you can do about this as a host-as-guest, except maybe be extra-gracious, complimentary, and enthusiastic in your booking request.

Debra300
Top Contributor
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Laura2592,

I use Airbnb whenever I can, because I want to support follow hosts.  I have found only one place that is as clean and offers similar amenities as my rentals.  All the rest have fallen short in the cleanliness arena, even after so called enhanced cleaning has been performed.  The places haven't been nasty, but obviously not cleaned well.  Many times I overlook this because I travel internationally, and have found there are different standards for cleanliness and availability of certain items to clean to my preference.

Most hosts don't seem to care one way or another that I am also a host.

Don't just believe what I say, check the Airbnb Help Center
Amanda660
Level 10
Auchenblae, United Kingdom

I’ve only booked 4 stays via Airbnb

One when we lived in Spain and I was nipping back to Scotland for a week, forgot  to block my diary for my own stay and someone booked.  At the time there was a lady 4 doors down that rented a room on Airbnb so I stayed there whilst my guests were in - it was nice to chat Airbnb experiences with a home share host.  Simple, no frills but I liked the housemate vibe.  Left a great review. 

Booked a one night stay whilst driving through Spain back to the UK with our 3 pooches - friendly wee casita set up at the bottom of their garden.  No aircon and we nearly cooked but friendly correspondence, inexpensive and one of the few places that would take us along with our three Shar Pei.  Left a great review. 

6 night stay in Córdoba Spain in an apartment with great reviews.  It was really cold, poorly equipped kitchen, no internet from day 2 after internet cable was accidentally severed by workers  nearby.   Came with parking garage but zapper failed, no manual override and we were stuck inside until the owner came to rescue us.  Didn’t leave a revue. 

Little Havana, Miami - booked at the weekend for a post cruise stay over New Year.  Has great reviews....not overly friendly response to my chatty booking message.  He probably took a look at he and thought ‘ugh....she’s a host’. 

Karol22
Level 10
SF, CA

I've had good experiences booking other Airbnb's. For me it largely depends on where I'm going and the purpose of the trip. If the purpose of my trip is to discover the area, and I'm there for 4 days or more, then I'm getting an Airbnb for sure. However, if I'm simply trying to relax, not be worried about logistics, don't want to be reviewed as a guest.. I get a hotel or resort. If I'm going to a well known travel destination (e.g. Vegas, Cancun, etc..) for a long weekend, I'm likely going there for the party scene and will only book hotels or resorts because I simply don't want to cause trouble for a host. I know hotels and resorts in those areas are built perfectly for such trips.

Michelle1851
Level 10
Littleton, CO

@Laura2592  

Yes it has actually.  I used to only book thru VRBO, but at that time, it was set up a little different, maybe more independent with hosts collecting the money, etc.   But when I finally tried Airbnb for the first time, I was blown away, it was an exceptionally good experience, which not only inspired me to host, it also set my expectations as a guest a bit too high.  

Since  then I've been only reserving thru Airbnb or Booking since I'm on both sights I try to support other hosts.  My experiences have ranged from wonderful to acceptable.  I've learned to try to avoid property management companies and stick to  individuals for the most charm and comfort, I've learned to always bring a bag of coffee as its not always provided, I've learned to bring my own soap and shampoo as its not always provided,  I've learned that not all hosts give reviews. I've learned to be patient and kind as a guest, its not easy being a host.  And finally, I've learned the importance of asking hosts questions upfront before booking.

I'm not sure if thats what you're asking, but yes  I think it has changed the way I travel.