Host Cancellation Policy, Well No Guest Wants to Lose Money .............

Tracy4
Level 2
Cape Town, ZA

Host Cancellation Policy, Well No Guest Wants to Lose Money .............

Strict Cancellation Policy means nothing anymore in my view.

How to get a full refund if you are a guest.......

There seems to be a  way that guests have been 'over riding' the hosts cancellation policy in the last year or so.

Im beginning to think someone has posted ways on the internet to screw over a host.

I have experienced this myself, as have my neighbours, and many people that i know renting out their spaces on airbnb. I feel it is a loophole.

I list a large villa in Cape Town, If your policy is strict, guests cannot cancel near the check in time as it will hurt their pocket. Often they spot a cheaper home in the same area as an example.

Solution:

Guests Turn up at the Hosts listing, check in, take a few pictures completely out of perspective like some fluff behind the radiator, in an otherwise perfectly pristine clean listing, refuse to stay and then walk off, guess what......... full refund due to the guest.

There is no way for the Host to argue, as the pictures having been sent to airbnb are taken as gospel truth completely ouf context of the listing.

I have now resorted to take a full video walkthrough of my entire house including inside cuboards and drawers as i just cant deal with these things any more its not right. 

Host is left with a blocked calendar until resolved  & The guest walks away with a nice refund. Result.

1 Reply 1
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Tracy4  Yes, this is a scam that ABB makes easy for unscrupulous guests to enact, unfortunately. 

"Im beginning to think someone has posted ways on the internet to screw over a host". No doubt true, and though it's likely no secret already,  do you realize this is a public forum of both hosts and guests? These types of things are still best discussed in "host circle", so we don't educate still more unscrupulous guests on how to scam us 😉 Although, the majority of guests on here I'm quite sure are fine, upstanding, honorable folks whom we look forward to hosting!