Host account hacked - payout changed

Anna9692
Level 2
New York, NY

Host account hacked - payout changed

Hello Airbnb hosts

My hosting account was hacked back in September of 2019, I'm guessing during a  reported system wide security breach when hosts were able to see other hosts information. My payout information was switched to a fake PayPal account with an unresolved domain name.( batterhome.com)

The hacker was able to switch OFF  all the push notifications, as they switched payments between my bank account and this PayPal account several times over the course of October and November.  I  received no notifications to my email, each time the switch happened. When I ran my quarterly report end of Dec, is when I noticed this. Upwards of 15K has been redirected to this fake account

I have contacted PayPal and had them close that account

I have been calling airbnb everyday, and they keep saying the case is being handled by Trust and Security. No real answers or responses from this team. 

Has anyone else seen something like this and what actions have you taken to recover the stolen money.  Is there any recourse?

I assume I am not the only one this has happened to

I look forward to hearing anything from the community

30 Replies 30

@Charlene170 

Try following the advice on the help article below regarding deactivating your team 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2514/how-do-i-set-up-and-manage-a-hosting-team-on-airbnb

Charlene170
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

@Elena87  thanks you but I have a single listing so I am not using the professional hosting a tools so can’t set up a team

@Charlene170 Did you see my post right above yours? I wonder if this is behind your problem. These security issues are  my biggest fear with Airbnb.

@Colleen253  thank you yes I did and checked my settings. I have no co-hosts or teams set up. Never have. 

what I don’t understand is how they can still access my account if my new pw is in a vault? 

@Brian  are you aware that this is happening to host with no support from Airbnb? We are really really desperate and need help 

Jen6106
Level 1
Corona, CA

@Anna9692 were you able to get this resolved? I’m currently going through it. Very frustrating!

Kathryn250
Level 2
Naples, FL

Hi @Catherine-Powell  I also was hacked and had my payout method changed to a Paypal account.  I have contacted support since my payout for March 1-8 2021 didn't arrive in my Wells Fargo account.  They don't seem to care.  Don't they have to return my money?  Don't they have insurance or something for this kinda thing?  I'm told that they are escalating my report to the correct department and they will call me.  Which they did one time at the beginning and told me I should have my money in 7-10day, but that came and went and they don't get back to me.  Every day or so I call or file another report, but nothing has helped and it's now April 13 and they don't get back to me.  Is there anything else I can do besides call the Police?

I also have been hacked.  My listing was removed, and I can no longer see it.  My bookings are gone, with no way to retrieve them.  I cannot even go in to look at payout settings, so I don't know what's happening.  Support says they're working on it, but all they've done is accused me of deactivating the account.  I don't think they're capable of fixing this from what I'm reading here.  So my hosting must come to an end?!  Do they not care about the people who paid money for my rental, who will not be able to stay?

I have spent 2 months trying to get them to fix a similar problem - finally the "escalated' but then they denied responsibility even though they allow the money to be sent to a false bank and OKed it using a false email & phone.!!

Ralph235
Level 2
Houston, TX

Well this happened to me also.  Someone got into my account, changed the payout bank and was able to OK the change  with a bogus email and phone number. ABNB says its not their fault but how can that be when they accepted a bogus phone and email. At a loss what to do now!!!

Jorge202
Level 1
Florida, United States

I have the same problem, and also dealing with the customer support service from BNB, honestly really frustrating.

Brian527
Level 2
Evergreen Park, IL

Been dealing with this now for 2 days. I’ve changed my password to extra extremely difficult ones that only my lab top saves. The hacker also can change the payout 2 mins before the payout gets sent out. Airbnb told me I must have given my password to someone. they didn’t find anything on their end. Which tells me they are either to lazy or just don’t care, which is a dealbreaker for me. What doesn’t make sense is the hacker can change the pay out method on a whim, when I change it back to mine it says pending.  

**[Private conversation removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

**[Private conversation removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

Airbnb wants me to dispute my hacked payout method with the hacker.