Host charging for changing a reservation

Janet53
Level 2
Belfast, United Kingdom

Host charging for changing a reservation

Hi there 👋🏻

I am an Airbnb host but asking a question as a traveller who has just booked an Airbnb. We asked if we could add an additional night to the booking. The property manager said we could but as well as charging for the extra night which we would naturally expect they are also charging a 75 euro admin fee. Is this permitted? Thanks 

2 Replies 2
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Janet53 

If you perform the change yourself  ("change" option on the reservation), only the costs for the extra night will be added, as calculated by the Airbnb platform. But there is a risk the host will not accept the change.

If the host performs the change, the host can add the extra money to the total cost of the reservation.

Please note the host is obliged to mention this "admin fee" in the listing to be legitimate for charge it

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Janet53  as an experienced SH you will know this is not allowed. There is no disadvantage to a host on your adding an extra day, all they need to do is click to accept.

Is this charge mentioned on the listing?

Sadly Airbnb do let large scale airbnb management companies get away with doing things other hosts aren't allowed to such as charging deposits, age discrimination etc.

Did you book through an airbnb management company rather than with someone who manages their own listing?

In your situation I would call Airbnb and absolutely refuse to pay - it's outrageous. Personally I would ask Airbnb to cancel penalty free as the host is asking for money outside of Airbnb's terms.