Host contacting my soon to be x husband

Andrea5657
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Host contacting my soon to be x husband

Hi everyone, 

I recently stayed at a home with my three children. I communicated the entire time with the host about incidents- my daughter broke her mirror and I let her know right away. I was charged 35.00 nbd. I had told her that the garbage was halfway full and we ran out of room to put it. She said no worries. Go ahead and bag it. Leave it inside. Ok well I did that. I brought my esa animals and I said I wanted to clean the linens and wash everything due to allergies even though my animals are hypoallergenic you just never know.. she said don’t worry about it. 

well… I get a claim for reimbursement of 590.00!!! Saying she spend 4 hours cleaning… had to do linens… the mirror… had garbage all over the place. Stuff I literally had talked to her about and communicated. Not only that but I was accused of stealing her hair dryer. Of braking her heater? It’s summer. Why on earth would I even use a heater. It was a nightmare….. This host went to the extreme by contacting my soon to be x husband on social media. She literally told him that she searched his name on the database of Airbnb to look him up and to let him know that I’m unstable. That she hopes he gets custody of my children ( he posted some awful things about me on social media) and said even more horrific things. I am dealing with a very very high conflict divorce. The only thing I mentioned to her was I can’t wait to be out here.. I am dealing with a messy divorce kids and I are so excited to have our little get away… we have been talking since it was back in November when I booked. I tend to be very social. That was the only thing I said which was my mistake… but for her to contact my spouse and to go into my personal life? It brought up a safety concern to my kids and myself. I was literally harassed. She told my spouse she is rooting for him all the way from Michigan. She brought up my children and my mothering not even knowing a single thing about me. I have contacted Airbnb and they continue to close my case. Several times. She wrote a very disturbing review about me and Airbnb took it down. I am in tears just thinking about the harm she caused by contacting my spouse. I don’t know what to do.  I went on vacation to have some peace of mind with my kids and to get a break from what I have going on. For someone to do this it is just malicious. My spouse forwarded the messages not only to my parents ( ridiculous) but also his attorney for divorce. I am just in disbelief that someone literally used my profile information to do a search and contact my spouse. 

**[Private conversation removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

15 Replies 15
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Andrea5657 you may not realize this, but you can't post things that identify people here, even if you are having a rough time with them. Your screen shots will probably be removed. 

You also should not have been contacting people through What's App. ABB will not support anything that happens off the platform. Nonetheless, the way I read that, she bought it recently and it was $35 but to REPLACE it, it very well could have been $100. Mirrors aren't cheap and if it was a cool vintage one, I might have been upset myself. 

I don't know how long your stay was but if you ran out of trash space in a weekend, that is very telling. Sounds like you may be rougher on properties than you realize. Even so, there is no reason to contact your spouse. Two wrongs, however, do not make a right. No reason to call out this host here.

Sorry this happened and if it went down in the way you describe, it really does suck. Gently, it does seem like there may be 2 sides to this story and though the host had no right to intrude in your personal life, I am doubtful that you left her space as spotless as you believe you did.