Host says he has no room but does not respond to the cancel request

Béla2
Level 2
Szfvár, Hungary

Host says he has no room but does not respond to the cancel request

The host accepted my request and immediatly wrote me that he does not have a room for me. I did the following steps: 

1. Go to “Trips” and find the trip you want to cancel.
  2. Click on “Show trip details.
  3. Click on “Change or cancel.
  4. Click “Cancel reservation.
  5. Please select a reason, choose “My host needs to cancel.
  6. Next to “Did they say they can’t host you anymore?” choose “Yes.
  7. Click “Ask host to cancel.

It took me to the chat window, where I asked him politeley that he should cancel, if he can't provide me accomodation. He does not respond. It's been almost 24 hours now, the reservation is due in 2 days. Our chat is in Hungarian. Will AirBnB really validate that the host could not give me a room and refund my money? How does this work? When should I expect any response?

3 Replies 3
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Béla2 The host has 24 hours to respond because your trip starts in less than a week: see

If your Host needs to cancel - Airbnb Help Center

In your case though, because the date is so close, I would call or message Airbnb immediately and let them know what's going on so you can get it resolved and find a new place. If the hosts just say yes they can host but won't let you in, it could be a hassle to complete the refund. 

Hello @Alexandra316 , according to the official website info (https://www.airbnb.hu/help/article/1250/ha-a-h%C3%A1zigazd%C3%A1nak-le-kell-mondania-a-foglal%C3%A1s...) the host has only 24 hours to respond if the reservation is within a week, but no signs from the host or airbnb yet.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry your host has behaved badly firstly by accepting a booking they can't honour and secondly by deliberately not responding to your cancellation request because they don't want to accept the penalties involved for having a host initiated cancellation.

call Airbnb now and ask them to initiate the host cancellation and help you identify alternative listings that are suitable and available that you can transfer your booking fee to.  @Béla2