How do you get rid of hair in your home?

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

How do you get rid of hair in your home?

Jenny_0-1684768143262.png

Hello everyone! 

There’s no two ways about it - hair in the home is something that we all have to deal with at some point.

Fresh, clean listings are so important, both for your guest’s enjoyment and for your reputation as a Host.  I imagine you all go to great lengths to make sure that there’s not a wayward bit of hair or fur left around.

We’d love to know… what are your tips for dealing with hair and fur in your listing?  Maybe you’ve found the most effective hoover, or a way of washing soft furnishings that really works!

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

21 Replies 21
Francisco-and-Yajaira-Ho0
Host Advisory Board Member
Punta Cana, Dominican Republic

Hi Jenny!  One effective way I do to handle this situation is to incorporate regular vacuuming of the entire apartment after each check-out. This simple cleanliness habit has worked wonders for me. Can anyone else share another way to  handle this challenge  in your listings? 🏠 Share your thoughts! 💭😊

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Francisco-and-Yajaira-Ho0 

Vacuuming seems like the strongest solution to the problem of hair, but @Helen744 @Patricia2526 have both made some great suggestions here too, do you already use any of them, or might you give them a try?

-----

Before I do any cleaning in the bathroom, I vacuum the shower, tub, sink and floor.   Hair seems to cling onto cleaning cloths but this helps control the amount of hair that can get left behind.  

Another tip, items that do not need to be washed  every time, such as a throw blanket that may have been lightly used.  I put the items into the dryer, put the dryer setting on STEAM REFRESH to remove any little hairs. 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

It's great to see another person who vacuums the bathroom like this, @Norma-Jean--And-Daryl0

Loving your tip about using the dryer to refresh soft furnishings as well.  Thank you for sharing!

-----

@Jenny  I agree a hair.....just one....YUCK.. did you know that all people that have hair will lose between 50-100 hairs  daily esp. after shampooing. No wonder we have such a big "hair"  issue right? 

I'm all about vacuuming/and shark is my pick and lint rollers - one thing I've started in the past year is after the bathroom is all clean and dry. I vacuum inside the shower seems hairs cling when wet but when dry they take flight. So all clean, dry - I vacuum them up - and every time there are even small ones hidden, little buggers. 

I had a Romba vacuum and my little dogs were so afraid of it. I gave it to my sister and her grand kids put toys on it and love to watch it move all over. Different strokes for so many different folks. Best to you, Clara

Hair can be missed where it’s damp so I sweep first and vacuum in the bathroom and rest of home. 

Patricia2526
Level 10
Manila, Philippines

Hello @Jenny 

I use fabric softener, lint rollers and vacuum cleaner.

When vacuuming I use with a brush attachment very effective in picking up hairs and furs. Then I mix fabric softener solution in spray bottle, slight mist the affected area then wipe so it will loosen hairs . Then lastly lint rollers or sticky tape to pick up stubborn hairs. 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

Fantastic tips here @Patricia2526 - thank you!  

-----

Thank you Jenny! 💕

Francisco-and-Yajaira-Ho0
Host Advisory Board Member
Punta Cana, Dominican Republic

Great tips!  Thank you for sharing.  👏😊

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

Jenny I do agree that vacumning is the best way to go every changeover but the worst hair issue I ever had was with someones wig moulting all over the house. Long white/blonde hair turning up seemingly from no where for weeks.As Jerry Seinfeld said , its your 'shining glory , when its on your head but when it leaves , erk..Hand basins and drains end up with most of it and I imagine a fair bit goes down the bath and shower outlets as well as the loo.A sharp eye is necessary a damp mop , in the bathroom and kitchen areas and basically clean clean clean . A house with fluff balls under the bed or hair in the bathroom or heaven forbid on the sheets is not considered a clean house, but even clean sheets can attract hair . Diligence is the answer.And like puppy dogs all people shed... H

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm laughing at that Seinfeld quote as it's so accurate @Helen744! When I stay somewhere it's the one thing guaranteed to give me the ick.

-----

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Jenny 

My greatest fear is that an incoming guest will find a stray hair in my listing. Some guests lose hair at a rate that beggars description, so I know what it is to be thorough!

As humans we tolerate lots of things. We tolerate spider webs, bits of grime, even the odd dead cockroach but, that loose hair in the shower alcove or on the bed linens is akin to finding a live mouse nibbling away at last nights left-overs ....

Emoji, you are kidding.jpg

it's the kiss of death and will guarantee you of a one star review for cleanliness!

1/......You have to have a good vacuum with a powerhead with inbuilt lighting.....one that will seek out a hair from a foot away or more. This is the one I use and find it to be very effective.....

IMG20230315135546.jpg

It's a Wertheim Evolution stick-vac and comes with 2 separate batteries which allows for about 1 hour and ten minutes of continuous cleaning. Not too many hairs escape this cleaner!

2/......Always closely inspect the shower drain and the handbasin waste after each guest stay.

3/......I make sure I iron all bed linens, even the fitted sheets so I am confident no stray hair gets through undetected. The only ones that challenge me a bit are blonde hairs. 

4/......I find lint rollers lull you into a false sense of security, you think just because you have used it you are safe.....your aren't! You must eyeball every fabric, the lounge suite, the towels, the cushions.

5/......Iron all bed linens with an ironing aid, it gives a nice fragrance to the linens  which gives guests a sense of confidence that you have attended to details,

To this point I haven't had a guest complain so I have my fingers crossed.

Cheers........Rob  

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great tips here @Robin4 - thank you as always!  I have a similar vacuum with built in lighting, except it's a corded Shark brand.  I'm someone who really doesn't enjoy housework, so I know my Mum will be so amused when I tell her I said this sentence, but I actually love doing the vacuuming with a good hoover!

What kind of ironing aid do you use - is it something you put into the water - or a spray?

-----