How do you get rid of hair in your home?

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

How do you get rid of hair in your home?

Jenny_0-1684768143262.png

Hello everyone! 

There’s no two ways about it - hair in the home is something that we all have to deal with at some point.

Fresh, clean listings are so important, both for your guest’s enjoyment and for your reputation as a Host.  I imagine you all go to great lengths to make sure that there’s not a wayward bit of hair or fur left around.

We’d love to know… what are your tips for dealing with hair and fur in your listing?  Maybe you’ve found the most effective hoover, or a way of washing soft furnishings that really works!

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

21 Replies 21

We have a roomba that we run each time after a guest it helps with hair a lot in places hard to teach especially 

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

I've been considering getting a roomba for my home!  I'm not sure how the cat would like it though... but it'd be funny if he was like the cats I've seen in videos who will happily sit on a roomba as it moves around the room!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Yolande43
Level 1
Fort Walton Beach, FL

Hello , Jerry

First thing you do , shake everything and vacuum all tire houses . Then you can start cleaning, and after you vacuum again before you map it.

and don't throw way the rest of toilet paper.  

You can use is to pick some dust in the corner. 

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Jenny and all the other hosts that have replied with great tips.

Yes I agree with the vacuuming the bathroom floor to picking up hair left in hidden places. However, I wash and clean all bathroom walls first as there is often hair clinging where unexpected. Vacuum before washing floor. Then, revacuum floor when dry as there maybe a hair that wanted to play games and not be caught.

My other tip is to wipe over lounge chairs and dining chairs with a damp cloth as this is where you often see and pick up a blond hair. When you observe people with long hair they often run their hands through their hair or play with it when sitting stillI. I also vacuum the lounges and dining chairs as part of cleaning. Because of this reason.

You often find lots of goodies when you remove the cushions, e.g crumbs, toys, bobbypins, pencils and pens, paper or magazines, sand because we live by the beach.

Helen0
Level 10
Manchester, United Kingdom

Obviously vacuuming is the first line of defence. I also always check the plughole in the bath, as there is often a big clump of hair in there. And I pay particular attention to a certan rug that likes to hold on to hairs.

And then I walk around the house with a lint roller inspecting all the surfaces as a final pass once I'm done cleaning.  The main culprit for hair is often the bedlinens - any stray hairs stuck to sheets and towels will be clean because they've been through the wash, but I still don't want them there. 

I think I could probably tell you the colour/length/curliness of hair of every guest, even if I never actually meet them in person. 

To get rid of hair in your home, especially if it's from shedding pets or human hair, you can follow these effective methods:

1. Vacuuming: Regularly vacuuming your floors, carpets, and furniture helps to remove loose hair. Use vacuum cleaner attachments or brushes specifically designed for picking up pet hair, as they can be more effective.

2. Sweeping or Dusting: Use a broom or a dust mop to sweep up hair from hard floors. Microfiber dusting cloths or electrostatic dusters can also be useful for capturing hair from surfaces.

3. Lint Rollers: Lint rollers are excellent for removing hair from clothing, upholstery, and curtains. Roll the adhesive surface over the affected areas to pick up loose hair.

4. Rubber Brooms or Squeegees: Rubber brooms or squeegees can gather hair from carpets, rugs, and upholstery. The rubber bristles generate static electricity, helping to attract and collect hair.

5. Damp Mopping: Use a damp mop or a microfiber mop to trap and pick up hair from hard floors. The moisture helps to keep the hair from scattering around.

6. Pet Grooming: If you have pets, regular grooming can minimize shedding and help control the amount of loose hair in your home. Brush your pets frequently to remove loose hair before it ends up on your floors and furniture.

7. Upholstery Cleaning: If your furniture is prone to collecting hair, consider using upholstery cleaners or attachments specifically designed for removing pet hair. Alternatively, you can use a slightly dampened cloth to wipe down and collect the hair.

8. Washing Machine: For clothing, bedding, and washable items, toss them in the washing machine and follow the manufacturer's instructions. This will help remove hair that may be clinging to fabric.

9. Air Purifiers: Consider using an air purifier with a HEPA filter to help capture and reduce airborne hair particles in your home. This can be particularly helpful if you have allergies or sensitivities to pet hair.

10. Regular Maintenance: Establish a routine cleaning schedule to tackle hair removal. Consistent cleaning and maintenance will help prevent hair from accumulating and make it easier to manage.

Thanks-   

Best regards 

**[Sensitive information removed in line with - Community Center Guidelines]**