How has hosting on Airbnb changed your perspective on travel and hospitality?

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

How has hosting on Airbnb changed your perspective on travel and hospitality?

Paula_1-1708057944714.jpeg

Hello  everyone 👋

Being a Host can be a life-changing decision that influences many parts of our lives, including the way we travel, our attention to detail, and our efforts to treat the places we visit as if they were our own home.

Personally, after my previous experience as  a co-host, back in 2021, one of the things that has changed for me is the importance of communication. Clear communication is essential and depends on both Hosts and guests. Now, as a guest, I put more effort into communicating my appreciation for what I like about the place or when I offer constructive feedback on details that could be improved.

So, I’m curious, how has being a Host changed your perspective on travel and hospitality? Are you adopting any new practices when traveling as a guest? Or are you implementing new approaches in your own hosting?

Looking forward to reading and learning from all of you.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

5 Replies 5
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Hello @Paula 

Welcome to the world of Hosting.

Are you a Co Host of a Private shared home, that is of like letting a Bedroom similar to a Boarding/ Home share arrangement, or casual short term overnight stays, or longer term in your own home you perhaps are paying a Mortgage on, or Renting?

Or that of a Host of an Entire Home/ property?

Remember if you are Renting and sharing your home letting a Room, to seek written consent and an agreement with your Landlord/ owner.

We have a very long history of Hosting, including prior to joining ABB 6 years ago, and have always found open communication through the message system ABB encourage users to use the best way to try to ensure a good fit and smooth stay.

That's 101 of ABB.

One thing we have very much learnt is we all start in life somewhere however there's some Guests who simply lack good old fashioned Common Courtesies when it comes to been respectful towards Hosts who are accommodating them in our homes.

One can bend over backwards to "Be Kind" to guests alas not all Guests appreciate your kindness, the time spent on communications and cleaning and shopping and entertaining them.

All the best for a smooth ride and keep an eye open because you to will face some challenges along the way just like the rest of us.

Keep us posted how your adventures come along

Julia0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Paula,

Your profile shows no listings as a host, nor reviews as a host or guest, so I am curious at your statement -

"Personally, after becoming a Host, one of the things that has changed for me is the importance of communication. Clear communication is essential and depends on both Hosts and guests. Now, as a guest, I put more effort into communicating my appreciation for what I like about the place or when I offer constructive feedback on details that could be improved."

So, perhaps you could explain?

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hi @Julia0 and @Helen427,

Thank you so much for your reply. I had the opportunity to be a co-host back in 2021 for my aunt's beach apartment in the beautiful area of Santa Marta, Colombia. It was an amazing experience that helped me learn a lot about the hospitality industry.

I have made a slight change to my post to add some clarity about my previous experience.

How has being a host changed your perspective on travel and hospitality? Are you adopting any new practices when traveling as a guest?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

You are so right, @Paula , communication is the key!

When travelling, very often I get new ideas about how to improve our accommodation. E.g. our old-style chalkboard derives from Paris back in 2015, where we stayed in a homesharing accommodation, and our hosts cared about our state about the terrorist attacks during the Airbnb Open.

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Thank you so much for sharing. @Till-and-Jutta0 😊

-----