I need some of your expert advice, please!

Cherie71
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

I need some of your expert advice, please!

Before I do something that will come back to bite me, I'd sure appreciate some of your expert advice!

I've posted about an Airbnb Work reservation.  They didn't provide the names of each of the occupants or provide the COVID vaccination cards required at the time of reservation.  

I sent them a welcome to their Instant Booking, reminding them of the obligations (COVID cards, names, etc.) - they had 48 hours to cancel with no penalty.  I heard nothing from them.

Other reminders, again with the House Rules copied in the message, remained unanswered. As a courtesy, I extended the time to get the cards/names to me.

Someone from the company contacted me, explaining that their HR policy didn't allow them to ask for COVID status BUT they had done an informal question to the employees (funny how that works) - and their employees had not been vaccinated due to medical, religious or other reasons. 

She then offered the 'solution' to see if I would be willing to have my onsight manager test their employees every few days for COVID; pay a higher cleaning fee and something about their company insurance policy.  

Ummmm....NO!  I can't even imagine doing that!  

She wrote back to say they would have to cancel the reservation.  I responded they could find the cancel button to the right of the screen, etc...That was nearly 3 weeks ago.

They have held this property off Airbnb and our other platforms for nearly a month.  It is a substantial reservation with a strict cancellation policy. 

I don't want to offer any solution that would negate my Strict Cancellation Policy with Airbnb, especially knowing CS reps are not consistent.  

Now to the question for you experts...If I were to make a suggestion -if they were to book the other apartment on the property, giving a couple of days on the end of their reservation in addition, this scenario would negate any liability we would have had to other guests (who may book the other apartment) - allow for airing out of the apartment when they checked out with another day for serious cleaning.  Would making such an offer, even if they were not to accept it, negate our cancellation policy or cause any problems with Airnb CS?  

One part of me tends to think that if this company didn't have the sense to read the rules, what other rules will they break if they stay?  

Please put aside whether you agree with our COVID policy/receiving the names of all guests who will occupy the property - we have our reasons based on past experiences to implement the policies - I am looking for your expert advice on making an offer/solution.  With thanks!

19 Replies 19
Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

Airbnb says:

Can I require my guests to be vaccinated or tested for COVID-19?

Hosts can set their own house rules, including specifying whether they require guests to be vaccinated or recently tested for COVID-19, unless prohibited under applicable local laws or regulations.

If you’re requiring guests to be vaccinated or recently tested, be sure to say so clearly and prominently in your listing description as well as in your house rules, so potential guests don’t miss it.

https://www.airbnb.com/resources/hosting-homes/a/answers-to-your-hosting-questions-about-covid-19-14...

@Cherie71 What does your house rules say (I see 21 listings from you)?

I was asking, not about my COVID vaccination policy, but about any risks in making them an offer.

Till-and-Jutta0
Stuttgart, Germany

Maybe a misunderstanding: It was not my intention to discuss your Covid policy (we have a similar one, but clearly stated in our house rules - and according to above link this shouldn't be a problem with Airbnb).

Your risk also depends from your houserules. That's why I was asking.

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Cherie71  to me this is already problematical . I do not know what type of company continues to employ unvaccinated people or what level of involvement you seem to think it is okay to take on but no way on earth does this booking sound good. You said they had cancelled but the time is still blocked Why? You also said they want your manager to test these people. All of this is running another race and is not Airbnb. Maybe if your poor manager is an Airbnb manager and not just some poor guy trying to make a buck ,you should talk to him ,and not just surprise him with his new nursing role. Good luck but this sounds crazy H

Cherie71
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

The guest rejected the offer so I've put in a request with Airbnb Support to ensure the reservation is canceled under my Strict Cancelation Policy and open my calendar. 🙂 

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Cherie71 it is quite rare for ABB to uphold cancellation policies when there is a "rules" reason for the cancellation... don't stay/don't pay is the usual plan, regardless of what your cancellation policy says. Please come back and let us know what happens

I've not had a problem in the past with cancellations made because of not following the House Rules: i.e. third-party bookings, extra guests showing up, our COVID policy, etc.

I will let you all know though.

Susan990
Level 10
Redmond, OR

The lesson to learn from this experience is "Never ever use Instant Book"  It takes your powers and rights away totally and the frequent users of it know this and use it and abuse it.  The instant I cancelled instant book I got better quality inquiry guests who asked serious questions to make a decision on their long term stay reservation needs. They were allowed to stay at my place -at my pleasure- and at my acceptance which I could later cancel with impunity if I discovered new information about the guest which was not disclosed previously.  Just say NO to Instant Book.

Susan
Till-and-Jutta0
Stuttgart, Germany

As a host I can say: When the pandemic started, we stopped IB. And we didn’t regret it.

Due to the constantly changing local Covid regulations there is so much to communicate and to double-check, that we feel safer this way. And we are still happy with the booking rate, and with most of our guests.

I turned off Instant Book from a couple of my listings that require more consideration of the guests' understanding and checking in procedures- but when doing so, Airbnb has you go thru a checklist -are you sure? - all the reasons a host shouldn't, etc. etc. 🙂  

This is not about agree or not agree.

They are liable for the full amount due under your cancellation policy. They're hoping you will cancel so they get their money back. But don't do it. But also hold firm and stop negotiating.

Let them know your policies were clearly stated in the listing and reiterated at the time of the booking. You will not put yourself or cleaners at risk. The employees are welcome to stay if they can provide their ID and a negative PCR test taken within 72 hours of check-in. Otherwise they are welcome to cancel their booking subject to the cancellation policy they agreed to.

Tired of these "superspreaders" thinking they're a protected class.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Cherie71 you have done everything you could and you should take no further steps at this point. 

A few things to remember:

1. you can not deny entry, regardless of the reason. If you do, they will get a full refund. Your guests do not need to know that right now but you should. For example, when I did not allow a third party enter my house instead of the guest, airbnb refunded them in full even though they confirmed being at check in without the guest who made the reservation

2. if they cancel, you owe them nothing beyond your policy and you should not feel bad- you said it yourself: they held your calendar hostage for a long time

3. your position on Covid has zero scientific basis. I know you are not asking about that one but this is an open forum. Just let them use your space.

@Inna22 I am not sure what it is about a covid policy that you think has 'zero scientific basis ' but nevertheless most guests do not want to think that you are hosting those with covid in some type of free for all unregulated way . Also we are all still bound by the covid rulings as far as I know and they involve having no one arrive without knowing they are covid free. Ignoring covid rules is a good way to get suspended .Hello ? H

@Helen744 perhaps there are special rules in Australia. I have not had a single quest question the health of the previous guests and my calendar is pretty full.  I do not block days between stays. I personally would not care if someone before me had Covid in the same space because again, scientifically it has been proven that you can not get Covid simply by entering a space previously occupied by a sick person. if this were truly, literally all of us would have been sick now.