IPO

Gary834
Level 2
Bend, OR

IPO

How many other hosts think ABNB should allow us to participate in the IPO before trading? We are the backbone of the company!

32 Replies 32
Scott1243
Level 2
Big Rapids, MI

Has anyone gotten a response (or even requested) the IPO participation to AirBNB?  It’s been a month since the filing started, so may be getting close now. 

Curious if anyone has an update or even got in contact with someone at investor relations. Thanks!

I wrote to them. They said they can only give me a press report that was a year old.

Morgan Stanley sent out purchasing agreements today.

Dam I got left out then. I am, in the same boat as most others. I cant believe I got left out of IPO. That sucks... I been a super host for 2 years and had no idea I could get in on this. I never got an E-Mail...

Doug-And-Leslie0
Level 2
Deerfield Beach, FL

100% ABSOLUTELY!  In fact, SuperHosts should be given first priority.  

Hi all,
My husband works part time for Uber, and amassed over 10,000 rides before their IPO. He received an extra $1,000 on a paycheck at the time of their IPO.  Why can’t Airbnb do something similar? Perhaps everyone gets something, but super host receive something additional?  Uber gave drivers more bonus for driving more miles.

lastly, if IPO shares are too complicated… Perhaps everyone gets a travel credit. That way it’s a benefit a second time for the community to have additional business?

Thais7
Level 4
Chippendale, Australia

Absolutely agree we, who put our heart and soul on delivering beautiful stays, we who make Airbnb should get access pre public to the IPO.

Would love to hear from Airbnb about it.

Jack1443
Level 3
Virginia, United States

Yep,  it would be great if they allow hosts to buy airbnb stock at IPO price. 

I am hearing they are planning an endowment for hosts which is great, But allowing hosts to buy shares at IPO price or at a discount will give hosts a sense of ownership and partnership with Airbnb. 

Sharon1014
Level 10
Sellicks Beach, Australia

You can always buy stock through a broker @Jack1443 @Thais7 

There won't be any share offer directly to hosts.  AIRB (the NASDAQ ticker/symbol when it launches) is expected late November to mid December (possibly next week, see Bloomberg link below).  FYI the company is hoping to raise $3b in the IPO and has high interest debt of $2b to pay off immediately.  The company also has employee stock options to honour.  The company also has a pending class action lawsuit from hosts which you can read about here 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Host-initiates-class-action-lawsuit-over-COVID-19-cancel...

The endowment fund is pretty much meaningless unfortunately, just a pie in the sky PR exercise and imo, a poor excuse to hosts.  It would indeed be nice to be treated as partners instead of servants.

Just my 2c but I think there is a high probability that many of the larger investors will cash out after launch (leaving small investors to carry any losses).  The company did a 2:1 stock split recently to make the IPO share price more attractive to mom n pop investors (presumably so there would be a bigger pool of money to soak up the offering).   

It does bother me quite a bit that the company doesn't currently hold host/guest money in escrow accounts, but seems to use these funds for its own operational and (some rather crazy)  project purposes.  That's something of a worry for all hosts if the company is in fact strapped for cash, unable to live within its own means (18% take on bookings) and you want to get paid for services you have provided.

So... exercise some caution and do your own due diligence.

Here's the latest info on IPO launch date

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-11-10/airbnb-is-said-to-push-back-ipo-filing-to-avoid-e...

And something else to keep in mind

Dennis Schaal.JPG

Nevertheless, if you think it is a great investment that is going to make (and not lose) you money, then by all means go for it.

Happy hosting.

Gillian244
Level 2
Portland, OR

I agree that hosts should have the opportunity to buy stock options, and would much prefer that to the "host endowment fund" that was mentioned in a previous email, since it's unlikely that all hosts would benefit from a fund like that, but if hosts are given the option to buy even just a few shares, we would feel that our essential role in AirbnB was appreciated and honored. @catherinepowell

I am, in the same boat as most others. I cant believe I got left out of IPO. That sucks... I been a super host for 2 years and had no idea I could get in on this. I never got an E-Mail... So very sad to miss out on direct share program

Mari19
Level 4
Hereford, AZ

It all seems quite dismissive of Host interests considering they only sent an “underwhelming” email about the Directed Share Program on Nov 16 and, during Covid and the Holidays, gave only four days to respond. Plus, sorry, but where do hosts spend most of their time and energy? Where is the work done? On the platform! Where do we see messages? In our “Inboxes”! How many times has Airbnb said use their message threads for communication?

Airbnb knows how to make something known .. what with their huge presence and platform ... this just doesn’t feel right. I mean what happen to “Belonging”!? 

They did practically nothing to fully reach out to hard working hosts or allow them the time to respond in these challenging times. 

So, obviously, I’m bummed cuz I missed the announcement and deadline. Not because I think there’s tons of money to be made from owning shares (unlikely IMO). But more disappointed because once again it feels like the dedicated and hardworking Hosts who provided the strong shoulders to hold up this mega monster have once again been left disregarded and invisible as we’re expected to simply, quietly carry on. 

Ted26
Level 3
San Diego, CA

I'm a Host (SuperHost, actually) of many years who would like to buy shares at IPO price, but I missed the 4-day window that Airbnb offered us to register for those. Only 4 days?!
C'mon! Is there really no other way to register for the IPO price shares??

Linda3075
Level 2
Cincinnati, OH

We were squeezed out of the offer by greed. We were offered to participate  and then management went silent.  They used us to hype up the IPO.  Currently trading at $159.  I would have purchased the 300 or so shares that were supposed to be offered. 

Linda3075
Level 2
Cincinnati, OH

I registered the day it was offered. It made no difference. I got a vague email that seemed like I was not selected to participate, but they did not come straight out and say it.   Then hearing about the endowment fund did nothing to make me feel better. It was like they tried to throw a few crumbs. They knew the IPO was going to go crazy and they did not want us to take away their perceived share of the offering. They could have lowered the max quantity we could purchase to accommodate ALL the owners.