Inside the Airbnb APAC Community Leaders Summit - highlights and takeaways

Dr-Jayanthi1
Level 10
Coimbatore, India

Inside the Airbnb APAC Community Leaders Summit - highlights and takeaways

Airbnb Leaders SummitAirbnb Leaders Summit

Are you ready to embark on an extraordinary journey filled with inspiration, learning, and shared experiences? Welcome to the Airbnb Community Leaders Summit for the Asia Pacific, Australia and New Zealand region (APAC)! Picture this – the bustling city of Bangkok serving as a backdrop, the historic Jim Thompson House Museum as our host venue, and a diverse group of 78 Airbnb community leaders from Australia, New Zealand,India, Sri Lanka, Malaysia,Thailand, Philippines, Vietnam and beyond (Team Airbnb) coming together for a dynamic two-day event- Sept 5 & 6, 2024.

Get ready to dive into a listicle format that will take you through the highlights of this enriching summit! Here’s a glimpse of the magic that unfolded in the heart of Bangkok:

1. Embracing Cultural Diversity

At the core of the summit was a celebration of cultural diversity. Community leaders from various backgrounds gathered to share stories, bridge gaps and embrace the richness that cultural exchange brings on the aspect of hosting and use of Airbnb as a facilitator. The vibrant tapestry of voices resonated through the halls of the Jim Thompson House, creating an atmosphere of inclusivity and respect.

2. The Power of Connection

One of the key takeaways from the summit was the power of connection. In a digital age where interactions often feel distant, this event reaffirmed the importance of face-to-face connections. From sharing hosting tips and strategies to exploring mutual love for travel as hosts and guests, the summit emphasised the profound impact of genuine human connections.

3. Empowerment through Education

Education was a cornerstone of the summit, with a strong emphasis on the mantra of “educate, learn, empower.” Workshops and seminars empowered participants to enhance their hosting skills, expand their knowledge of the travel industry, and gain insights into creating exceptional guest experiences. The summit served as a platform for continuous learning and growth.

4. Sharing and Caring

The spirit of sharing and caring echoed throughout the summit. Participants shared personal stories, offered support to fellow hosts, and exchanged valuable insights that would enrich their hosting journey. The sense of community and camaraderie was palpable, reinforcing the idea that success is sweeter when shared with others.

5. Unveiling New Horizons

As the summit concluded, participants left with a renewed sense of purpose and a treasure trove of memories. New friendships were forged, fresh ideas were born, and a sense of anticipation for future collaborations filled the air. The summit was not just an event but a beginning of a new chapter in the ever-evolving Airbnb community. The power of being heard, the confidence of trust to handhold and the overwhelming hospitality by Airbnb were enriching. Our journey as a host is just not confined to business but to translate hospitality by all means across the globe. Geographies may vary but the voice was one, concerns unanimous and the deliverables are evident.

The summit was a testament to the transformative power of community, connection, and shared experiences. It was a reminder that in a world filled with bustling cities and digital connections, human interactions remain at the heart of what makes hosting on Airbnb truly special.

Let’s keep the Airbnb magic alive.

18 Replies 18
Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Wow, what a wonderful event, @Dr-Jayanthi1! We really appreciate you sharing all of this with our community. Did you get the chance to meet leaders from different countries? It sounds like such a lovely intercultural experience.

Thanks again for sharing!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

@Paula I am so happy that I bought it up with the esteemed community. I am overwhelmed to see all the APAC CL’s bring out their personal experiences. I was an event worth the celebrations I see here. And a big shout out to all of you Community Managers for letting me bring it here. I am obliged. Always a Happy Host ❤️🤗

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Dr-Jayanthi1 .

Thank you for sharing the highlights of the APAC Summit in 2024. I completely agree—it was an incredibly informative gathering of Community Leaders from nine countries across Asia, the Pacific, and Oceania.

As this was my first summit, it was both exciting and a little overwhelming at times, especially meeting up with my Australian colleagues who have attended two or three times before. I did feel like a fish out of water on occasion! Unfortunately, I didn't have the chance to meet you in person, but now, after seeing your photo and reading your reflections, I do remember seeing you throughout the event. I hope you’ve taken away plenty of ideas to inspire your Airbnb journey!

Warm regards,

Laurelle Paton from Downunder

Hey @Laurelle3 , I am so glad you did recall my presence at the Summit. I was overly present with my traditional attire . My first summit as well. Completely agree with your views on the summit. We will surely catch up for more through the community centre and other forums for airbnb. I am already executing the ideas and insights taken from the summit. What a place to share and care for hosts. I am overwhelmed. Let us share our hosting experiences.

Angela1496
Level 3
Christchurch, New Zealand

IMG_7830.jpeg

@Angela1496 Love the posing with the "Belo", it was the moment of attraction and celebration. Great to have spent the two days with great leaders like you. Hoping for more 😍

Merrydith0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Lenah Valley, Australia

@Dr-Jayanthi1 This year's CL Summit for Australia and NZ joined with SEA to become the APAC Summit and it was a game -changer!

The spirit of sharing started early when ANZ CM Tess Taylor set up a WhatsApp page for participants. That page went off straight away. Everyone was keen to share and learn. 

Someone suggested we do a sharing table at Summit and share our sweet treats. This was so popular that on Day 1 the Treat Table was overflowing with treats from across South East Asia and ANZ! The sugar was addictive and we couldn't learn enough about each other from then on.

The WhatsApp page also ensured that early arrivals got to do an amazing AIrbnb Experience (Hidden Bangkok) run  by Ohm who is also a Thai CL. Ohm has made it his mission to show visitors to Bangkok, the original capital, an area once only accessible by canals. In the process Ohm is showing his friends and neighbors how to revitalize their neighborhood by turning run down canal houses into Airbnbs and bring some of the tourist $$ there too. 

i loved the Hidden Bangkok Tour, it was a highlight of my time in Bangkok. We saw massive monitor lizards, lots of birds and kids all taking a dip in the canals. Plus tiny pole homes right next to mansions all side by side in the vibrant canals. The icing on this tour are the temples and the giant buddha which shows itself slowly as you get closer. The guides are so informative and made us all thirsty to know more about our temporary home, Bangkok.

The night before Summit we all had a casual meetup at a great nightclub- Tropic City - the cocktails were wonderful and the place was humming with connections and re-connections happening at a rate of knots! It was loud, it was colorful, it was wonderful. Some participants didn't want the night to end, and followed SEA CLs into the backstreets to find tasty delights in restaurants we would never have found on our own. 

The Summit was jam-packed from the beginning - the venue itself (The Jim Thompson Museum) was incredible. So many tourists do the tour of this facility and we got to spend two days there. 

The interaction between participants was an explosion of joyous sharing. Getting to know each other, learning our differences and our similarities - oh and we did some structured learning as well. Actually the APAC CMs put together a fantastic itinerary of interactive learning, interspersed with great food, all rolled up in the most colourful and interesting environment. Wow wow wow!

I made so many connections with both ANZ and SEA CLs and now feel closer to people in all these countries. I so hope we get to do this again next year, because the value of what we did can't be counted just in what we learned, it goes much deeper into inclusivity and diversity and the joy of having fun together. This type of connection is what Airbnb is all about at its core, helping people 'belong' anywhere, and we did. 

Two weeks later the WhatsApp page is still going crazy with messages from participants sharing their listings and other information. I can't say enough about this year's APAC Summit. It was incredible and so much more. A real life highlight for me and so many other CLs, and we can't thank Airbnb enough for the experience. 

@Merrydith0 Your vibes and the wisdom are so contagious. I resonate with you on the connections, interaction and the discussion that are rocking our community leader forums. Thank you for enhancing my version of APAC.

Geoff7
Level 3
Hepburn Springs, Australia

@Dr-Jayanthi1 I loved the APAC Summit from start to finish - this was one of the most inspirational CL Summits I have been to over the years - and the key reason I think was the cultural diversity of the Group.
We tend to live in a bit of a bubble here in ANZ and to be able to hear for the first time, directly from CLs in other countries about the issues they were experiencing - makes you realise the more diverse we are, the more the same we are. 

Hearing and learning how CLs in other countries deal with hosting issues gave me a real insight into alternatives - to take back to my Host Group. 
HeRing Bali’s views on regulation and looking at what’s happening in Thailand and Vietnam - makes you understand that not all regulation in our sector is bad. 
Seeing  the quality and value guests get in India makes you realise that here in ANZ how fortunate we are to be able to achieve the nightly rates we do.

And Oh My God there are so many new Airbnbs I want to go and try out.

As for the size/numbers of CLs attending - personally I thought it was a good size and manageable and still highly personable from an interaction perspective. I would think over 100 attendees would change this dynamic. So in other words - while a global CL Summit has interest - I can’t imagine how that would work as well as our regional one - just due to the sheer number of CLs globally. 

@Geoff7 we shared our table during the summit and worked together addressing issues. It was fun. Was great to listen to your views as a panelist. Your tips on engaging the face book group are awesome, I am working on implementing them with our club. Will keep you posted. Thank you for your words here and a very warm welcome to come and try my Airbnb. 

Geoff7
Level 3
Hepburn Springs, Australia

That’s so nice @Dr-Jayanthi1 . Thank you - I thought we had a great table with really good views on everything - the funniest part was how similar we were when we did the exercise rating the Airbnb. Take care and have a great day. 

Angela1496
Level 3
Christchurch, New Zealand

@Dr-Jayanthi1 This was my 2nd summit, but my first in an APAC environment.  It was such a great way of meeting and greeting our wider global community in the APAC region.  Add to that the opportunity to experience a different country, culture and hospitality were all wonderful layers that enhanced the overall summit experience.

The more we learn about each other the more we can enhance what we do with our host clubs in our roles as Community Leaders.  Hearing how each leader arranges meetups, recognizes contributors to their club events, books events, works in with community and local business, were all very inspiring.

It was also fantastic to see the community managers working more collaboratively with each other as well as shining the spot light on members in their regions doing great things for the beneift of all, both locally and globally.

I was particularly proud of our new canterbury co-host leader, coming to summit for the first time (Sharon Tumminello) who embraced the whole experience, got to know fellow CLs in the ANZ group and even came away with an award.

The Jim Thompson house was phenomenal, along with the staff, the food, the whole historical environment, I was in awe from start to finish. 

Hi @Angela1496 Happy to connect again here. What a summit and I am still on cloud nine. I am confident that the learnings are taking us a long way towards hosting and also building our respective host clubs. kudos to team Airbnb for having thought about this and connect leaders across borders. It was an eventful and memorable happening.

Patricia2526
Top Contributor
Manila, Philippines

Well said! @Dr-Jayanthi1 

My 3rd Summit but 1st with APAC 

The highlight was meeting 77 community leaders from 9 countries—Australia, New Zealand, Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam, India, Sri Lanka, Indonesia, and the Philippines. Over two days, we came together for learning, group sessions, and fun, exchanging insights and experiences.

We left inspired by each other’s ideas on how to better engage and support our communities. A huge thank you to Airbnb for providing this amazing opportunity!

IMG_8926.jpeg

We each brought snacks from our home countries to share at the summit.

IMG_9016.jpeg

Hello again from the Philippines!