Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Is my host being discriminatory? My host just asked if I traveled from the Hubei Province?

Ethan284
Level 2
Clovis, CA

Is my host being discriminatory? My host just asked if I traveled from the Hubei Province?

My host just asked if I traveled from the Hubei Province? What is Airbnb stance on letting hosts discriminate with the current circumstances. I have an asian last name, but I'm from the U.S. travelling in the U.S. . My host is in California.

27 Replies 27
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I think hosts are nervous. Just say no, you are American travelling in America. I don't know the official stand here but I do know some hosts want to break temporarily from hosting because of it .

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Ethan284  no, he is not discriminatory, USA is one of the 50  or so countries who imposed China travel restrictions

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

"

USA - published 14.02.2020
1. Visitors who have been in China (People's Rep.) in the past 14 days are not allowed to enter the USA.
2. Passengers who have been in China (People's Rep.) in the past 14 days must arrive at one of the following airports: Atlanta (ATL), Chicago (ORD), Dallas, (DFW), Detroit (DTW), Honolulu (HNL), Los Angeles (LAX), New York (JFK or EWR), San Francisco (SFO), Seattle (SEA) and Washington (IAD). 

"

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

The point is it is discriminatory @Branka-and-Silvia0 because @Ethan284  is from the US and there is no reason for the host to ask him that question.

Would they have asked a white or black person from the US the same question...I think not.

However nervous hosts might be they need to think through how asking this sort of question comes across to guests who may be from a Chinese background .

@Helen3 

By definition, it is discrimination. But there are levels to discrimination. One being with ill intention out of intolerance or hate which is not acceptable. The other is this specific matter which is discriminating to help isolate the illness. There is a big difference between the two.

The entire world is technically discriminating. What other solution is there until there is a vaccine?

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry I can't agree. It is offensive to guests like Ethan so harm is being done. @Sean433 

The solution is simple. Treat everyone equally. If the host is going to ask one American guest whether they have visiting the province before accepting their booking, then they should ask all American guests, or Canadians guests, since the virus is also in these countries. 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Helen3 , I think they ask everyone. Equally.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Personally I am not asking any of my guests, whatever country they are from, whatever they look like or whatever name that they have. @Sandra126 

I know what systems my government has in place to prevent further outbreaks and what travel restrictions are in place and I know what hygiene measures I need to have in place.

If a host really is asking everyone, that is their prerogative. However from the chatter I have seen on host forums, sadly this does not seem to be the case. Hosts are cancelling bookings, not accepting bookings or questioning guests purely based on where they are from or where they perceive they are from. 

@Helen3 

But everyone is offended by everything these days.  I was contemplating putting a funny picture on the wall on a new listing but thought, hmmm maybe 1 out of every 200 guests might get offended so I decided not to. So I have to go vanilla on my decor now.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Well actually no - everyone is not. @Sean433 

There are just an increasing number of people out there that are willing to speak out against, sexism, racism, Islamophobia etc.

If the host asked @Ethan284  about recent travel,  but didn't ask other US guests then she sadly she is discriminating. Of course not as bad as some forms of discrimination where people don't get access to housing, jobs or are physically attacked but still not acceptable.

Have no idea what your idea of a funny picture is that you were concerned that guests might find offensive.

@Helen39 

Ok. The funny picture that may offend some make others laugh are these two pictures in their frame from Amazon. To be hanged on the bathroom wall. I decided against it because I am sure eventually someone might find it off-putting or something.

funny.JPG

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Can't see why you think those images would be seen as discriminatory @Sean433 

Although I find those mixed fonts (typefaces)  rather grating...but that is more a design thing 🙂

@Helen3 

You replied "Have no idea what your idea of a funny picture is that you were concerned that guests might find offensive." I am certain eventually someone might find this offensive no?

I suppose a person who has difficulty sitting on their own might say this is discriminatory re the picture on the right.

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Branka-and-Silvia0 @Ethan284 @Sandra126 I expect the host doesn't want an illness in exchange for the money they make on airbnb.

I've closed my listing for now.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why would the host be concerned about the virus when accepting a guest from the US @Mike-And-Helen0